Fire destroys two waterfront homes in Coromandel's Cooks Beach

An out-of-control fire has gutted two beachfront properties in Cooks Beach / Te Whanganui a Hei on Saturday.

Locals in the Coromandel beach town told Newshub the first house to catch fire was only two years old.

A spokesperson from Whakaratonga Iwi / Fire and Emergency (FENZ) told Newshub they responded just after 12:30pm to a "fully-involved" fire at a two-storey house - with a neighbouring house catching fire too.

FENZ hasn't confirmed the cause of the fire - but neighbours told Newshub the fire started while an electric car was charging in the garage.

Firefighters could be seen pumping ocean water to douse the flames.

Five crews are still in attendance, the FENZ spokesperson added.

The first fire is under control, while crews are still dampening hotspots on the second.

Fire investigators are en route.