Night of crime in Auckland CBD: Reports of man pointing gun on K Road, gang robs and assaults man near ferry terminal

Auckland police were kept busy overnight arresting several people, including three people for assaulting a member of the public.  

The first incident occurred at 6:49pm on Tuesday on Karangahape Road when police were alerted to a man pointing a pistol at a member of the public.    

Auckland City Central Area Commander Inspector Grant Tetzlaff said officers arrested the man within 10 minutes.  

"Our city camera operators heard this incident come across the radio, and immediately began to track the person of interest, who had gone past Edinburgh Street," Insp Tetzlaff said.   

"Our frontline staff were soon in the area, locating the man and arresting him."  

When the man was found, he was located carrying a toy gun, Insp Tetzlaff confirmed.  

A 65-year-old man has been charged with unlawfully carrying an imitation firearm.

Meanwhile, about six hours later, three people were arrested after a robbery near the Downtown Ferry Terminal in the CBD at 12:40am on Wednesday morning.  

Police received a report from a member of the public of a man being assaulted and having his phone stolen.   

"Our camera operator quickly caught sight of a group of seven people walking past Britomart, and relayed this information to our frontline staff arriving in the area," Insp Tetzlaff said.   

"They quickly had all seven detained at Te Komititanga while further enquiries were made."  

Insp Tetzlaff said three men were arrested and were aged 16, 18 and 21.   

Police said the 18 and 21-year-old were charged with injuring with intent to injure and will appear in court next week. The 16-year-old was referred to Youth Aid.   

The man who was attacked was treated at the scene by ambulance staff and did not require hospitalisation.  

"It's a priority for us to ensure the public's safety in our CBD and when offending like this is reported we are quick to respond," he said.  

Insp Tetzlaff said police have "no tolerance" for this sort of offending and will hold those responsible to account.   

He thanked the members of the public for calling the Police's Emergency Communication Centres quickly, which helped officers respond quickly.   

"By calling 111 as soon as possible and providing as much information as possible, this will enable our staff to respond in a timely manner."