Tributes flow for victims of 21st birthday brawl in Gisborne

Tributes are flowing for the two men killed at a 21st birthday party in Gisborne at the weekend.

They were Chrysler Stevens-Mark and Kane Taare-Gray.

Family and friends of Stevens-Mark have taken to social media to share their loss.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our Boy, our Little Cuzzy, our Little brother Chrysler Stevens-Mark who was tragically taken from us in what was supposed to be his special night," a Facebook post reads.

Meanwhile, Taare-Gray is also being remembered as a loving father, son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson.

"Kane was tragically taken from our whānau [and] at this stage our whānau are grieving, mourning and hurting in what has happened," a Facebook post reads.

It comes as Detective Inspector Dave de Lange gave the update at a media standup on Monday - but didn't officially name the two who died.

Det Insp De Lange said a 29-year-old Gisborne man had appeared in Gisborne District Court on Monday charged with injuring to cause grievous bodily harm.

The man was an uninvited guest at the party and has gang connections. He has been remanded in custody until April.

He said three other people remain in hospital. One is in a critical condition and the others are stable.

Kane Taare-Gray and Chrysler Stevens-Mark.
Kane Taare-Gray and Chrysler Stevens-Mark. Photo credit: Facebook

The brawl took place on Lytton Road in the Gisborne suburb of Elgin at 11:30pm on Saturday and involved about 100 people, according to police. 

Police - including the armed offenders squad - were called to break up the altercation.

The two men were found dead at the scene and a homicide investigation has been launched.

The bodies were removed last night and post mortems will take place.

De Lange said the brawl was not involving rival gangs.

Police are urging anyone with photos or video to come forward, and ask anyone else who was at the party who is yet to come forward to also contact police.

De Lange said police are not ruling out further charges for the 29-year-old or further people charged as they're still in "early stages" of the investigation.

Gisborne Mayor Rehette Stoltz told Newshub the outcome of the situation was "heartbreaking".

"This is not the news anyone wants to wake up to," she said.