Two people killed in horror Canterbury crash were Malaysian students

  • 31/03/2024

Two people killed in a horror crash in Canterbury on Saturday were Malaysian students, according to reports from the Southeast Asian nation.

Malaysia's Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim shared his condolences to the students' families on social media on Sunday.

"Condolences to the families of two Malaysian students who died in a road accident in Lake Tekapo, New Zealand," he posted on Facebook.

"I also pray for the three more Malaysian students who were injured in this incident to be healed as soon as possible."

According to Malaysian media, the crash involved five Malaysian students, two of whom died.

Megat Ashman Aqif Megat Irman Jefni and Wan Nur Adlina Alisa, both students at the University of Canterbury, were killed in the crash on State Highway 8 in Pūkaki.

The crash involved two vehicles and a motorcycle and happened between Hayman Road and Tekapo Canal Road. The person riding the motorcycle and two people travelling together in one of the cars died in the crash.

Popular skincare Youtuber Maisarah Mahmud said on X one of her siblings was involved in the crash.

"Hello everyone. Alhamdulillah my sister is safe. 3 car convoy from Christchurch to Queenstown. My brother is the 2nd car. The 3rd car involved in the accident," a Google translation of the tweet reads.

"Please pray for my brother's friend who died. May God forgive the sins of the deceased & place the deceased among the pious people."

Wisma Putra from the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs told news outlet Free Malaysia Today the Malaysian high commission in Wellington is providing consular assistance to the victims and their next of kin.

"The ministry and high commission stand ready to assist should the next of kin decide to repatriate the remains to Malaysia," the ministry said.

"The ministry also extends its heartfelt condolences to the next of kin of the victims involved in this tragic road accident." 

It added the injured students had been airlifted to Christchurch Hospital for urgent medical treatment.