Man accused of abducting woman in Auckland's North Shore appears in court

A man accused of abducting a woman from a property in Auckland's North Shore has appeared in court. 

It comes after the woman was forcibly taken from a Beach Haven home on Tuesday night, and later found in Greenhithe with injuries. 

The woman remains in hospital and police said she will have "a long road to recovery". 

The 32-year-old man from Dairy Flat appeared in Auckland's North Shore District Court, charged with kidnapping, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, commission of a crime using a firearm and burglary using a firearm.   

The charge of kidnapping a woman carries a maximum penalty of 14 years in prison. 

The man appeared in Auckland's North Shore District Court on Thursday.
The man appeared in Auckland's North Shore District Court on Thursday. Photo credit: Newshub

Judge Kirsten Lummis granted him interim name suppression for 72 hours, to give him time to tell his mother in Australia. 

The 32-year-old man was remanded in custody and will appear in court on April 23 when he will enter a plea. 

His appearance comes after dramatic pictures were released of his alleged arrest at Headquarters waterfront bar on Wednesday afternoon, where a woman was also arrested. 

The 28-year-old woman was due to appear in Auckland District Court on Thursday over outstanding arrest warrants and possession of a 12-gauge shotgun in a public place. 

She was not charged over the kidnapping but was charged with failing to carry out obligations relating to a computer search and had outstanding warrants to arrest. 

On Tuesday evening, police rushed to Beach Haven in big numbers at around 7:30pm after reports a woman had been injured and abducted. 

Detective Inspector Callum McNeill said three people arrived at a property on Sunnyhaven Ave in Beach Haven just before 7:30pm. 

One resident shared to a local community Facebook page they saw nine police cars and armed officers on the road. Another described hearing what she thought was "a gunshot". 

"An altercation has occurred, with the female occupant of the address being forced into the vehicle," said McNeill. "As this has unfolded, the firearm has been discharged and this has been the subject of multiple reports from neighbours to police." 

He said police do not believe this was a random incident.