Residents were told to keep their windows closed against the toxic smoke.
Fire and Emergency is urging drivers to avoid the area.
A house fire in Whangateau has claimed a life.
It happened when waterproofing membrane was being laid.
The COVID-19 lockdown meant they couldn't leave their house to help.
"A true character of the Invercargill brigade."
With the lockdown in place, New Zealanders may not be able to rely on old habits during a power outage.
Police are investigating the blaze.
The fire broke out on Wednesday evening.
No homes are at risk of damage.
An extra hour of sleep won't mean much for a lot of people during lockdown.
An image supplied to Newshub shows plumes of smoke in the sky.
Jason Fletcher was investigated by Fire and Emergency for cutting a firefighter's shirt.
Locals are being urged to stay inside - which they perhaps already should be, thanks to the pandemic lockdown.
All people in the building have been accounted for.
"Our families and employers are feeling it as well."
Flames tore through three classrooms and an office at South New Brighton School.
It's not known how the fire started.
They hope it will improve models on how fast fires spread.
Crews were called to the Challis St property just before 3am on Monday.