Almost half of all Kiwis support sending people back into Pike River Mine to look for evidence, and to potentially recover bodies.
In the latest Newshub-Reid Research poll, 45 percent support the idea, 35 percent say no and 20 percent don't know.
The poll was taken after Newshub released footage last month of two men working safely in the access tunnel, but before new video was released on Sunday showing no sign of an inferno at the coal face.
But the issue of mine re-entry remains politically divided.
A majority of National voters are against it, at 49 percent. But with Labour, a majority of 59 percent want people sent into the mine, as do 49 percent of Green voters, and a strong 68 percent of New Zealand First voters.
On Monday, Prime Minister Bill English said "implication that somehow there's been a cover-up [relating to the mine] is complete nonsense".
"I'm sure there's room for opinion about what happened and what didn't happen. But what we do know is that there was an explosion and 29 people died," he said.
However Labour leader Andrew Little takes a different stance.
"More and more evidence now is mounting to say there's something in there that we haven't been told, it's not right, it doesn't match up with the official story. We've got to get in there," he told Newshub.
The sentiment is echoed by New Zealand First leader Winston Peters, who says "if people were told the truth", almost everyone would call for re-entry into the mine.
"They don't believe the lies they've been told. Sadly, New Zealanders have been massively misinformed," he told Newshub.
The Newshub-Reid Research poll was conducted June 2-12. Of the 1000 people surveyed, 750 were by telephone and 250 were by internet panel. It has a margin of error of 3.1 percent.