NZ First website down for more than a month

The placeholder image on the NZ First website.
The placeholder image on the NZ First website. Photo credit: Screengrab

The New Zealand First website has been down for more than a month, and it's not expected to be up and running until 2018.

The website is currently a simple placeholder image with no links to contact information, policy details or biographies of NZ First politicians.

The website has been down since at least November 14. 

The NZ First website on 14 November.
The NZ First website on 14 November. Photo credit: Screengrab
The NZ First website on 22 November.
The NZ First website on 22 November. Photo credit: Screengrab.

But NZ First insists there are no transparency issues resulting from the broken website. It says the delay in getting it fixed isn't down to a lack of money, either. 

Like all parties, NZ First has to rely on its own funds, not Government resources, to keep its website running.

Party president Brent Catchpole told Newshub the party's funds are "not a problem at the moment".

He insisted nothing sinister is going on.

"We would love to have had someone work on it 24/7 for a couple of weeks," he said, but "everything slows down around Christmas and takes twice as long."

The website initially went down after someone moved a folder, setting off a chain reaction that made elements of pages disappear, Mr Catchpole said. When that happened, the party decided to revamp the whole website. 

Mr Catchpole said there's no issue around transparency for people looking to access NZ First policies, because there are new combined policies of the Government that need to be referred to anyway.

A spokesperson for Winston Peters said the developers in charge of the website's rebuild expect the site to be up and running in the new year. 

By then, the website will have been down for at least six weeks.

"We are part of a coalition which is committed to being open with the public," a spokesperson said.

"We also suspect that at this time of the year, the public will enjoy a break from politics. Any members of the public who are currently disappointed at the website being down, NZF feels, will be more than happy with the revamped site in 2018.  In the interim there various other platforms in which we interact."

NZ First previously told RNZ the website went down due to security concerns.

P.S. Just for fun, this is what the NZ First website looked like in 1996.

NZ First website down for more than a month
Photo credit: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.nzfirst.org.nz/

Newshub. 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz