A Wellington building that houses a number of Government services was forced to evacuate on Wednesday after asbestos was found in the skirting.
Dozens of public servants spilled on to pavements of the Terrace in Wellington after the asbestos was found at around 4pm.
It's since been confirmed that the asbestos was confined to the skirting and is not believed to have been disturbed. The evacuation was a precaution.
Just last year, renovations to the same building - the Reserve Bank - came to a halt after asbestos was discovered on level two of the building.
That fit-out cost taxpayers $908,000.
The building houses the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, the Parliamentary Counsel Office, the Reserve Bank of New Zealand and the State Services Commission.
The State Services Commission's lease of the Reserve Bank building was due to expire at the end of March 2018, but it was renewed and the lease was extended to March 2021.
Inhaled asbestos fibres can remain in the lungs for long periods and can cause serious lung diseases including asbestosis, lung cancer, pleural thickening and mesothelioma.