Meka Whaitiri has spoken to media for the first time since being fired from her ministerial portfolios on Thursday last week.
An "incident" occurred between Ms Whaitiri and a staff member in August, resulting in the Prime Minister deciding to strip Ms Whaitiri of her portfolios. Ms Whaitiri disputes aspects of the allegations.
It's understood there were no witnesses to the incident, but there have been allegations it was physical.
Ms Whaitiri remains an electorate MP for Ikaroa-Rawhiti and co-chair of the Māori caucus, alongside Willy Jackson.
She said it's been a "debilitating time".
"I'm absolutely gutted by it."
"I accept the Prime Minister's decision. I'm going to take time now to reflect and look at ways of improving myself to regain the Prime Minister's confidence.
"I've got a lot of work to do here on behalf of the people of Ikaroa-Rawhiti. I just want to get on with it," Ms Whaitiri said.
She added she was "humbled" by the support of the Māori caucus.
Ms Whaitiri would not say which aspects of the report she disputes or whether she would contest the 2020 election.
Mr Jackson said she is fit to remain co-chair of the Māori caucus.
"The Māori caucus has taken into account the great work that she has done and in terms of our strategies going forward. There's a heck of a lot of support there."
"We see no reason why she can't be a strong and good MP for Ikaroa-Rawhiti and a leader for caucus."
The Prime Minister has requested the report into the employment dispute be prepared for public release.