National MP Paul Goldsmith has been given the party's Finance portfolio after Amy Adams announced she would step down in 2020.
Simon Bridges, leader of the National Party, made the announcement on Tuesday, after Adams said she would retire from politics in 2020, and chose to step down from her spokesperson roles.
"Paul is the natural choice for the Finance role," Bridges said. "He has done an outstanding job holding the Government to account in the Economic and Regional Development portfolio."
- National MP Alastair Scott to stand down in 2020
- National MP Amy Adams to retire from politics at 2020 election
- National MP Amy Adams tears up revealing most difficult day in Parliament
Bridges said Adams, who Goldsmith is replacing, has "excelled as our Finance spokesperson and has been an outstanding member for Selwyn".
The Opposition leader also commented on the departure of National MP for Wairarapa, Alastair Scott, who announced his resignation the same day as Adams.
"Alastair should be proud of the work he has done to prevent drug driving, and for the way he has represented and advocated for the people of Wairarapa," Bridges said.
"I'm pleased they will be here for the rest of the term to help us form policies for the 2020 election."
Bridges also announced that National's newest MP, Paulo Garcia, has been given the Associate Foreign Affairs portfolio, after Nuk Korako announced his resignation in April.
Garcia, the party's first Filipino MP, has said he believes sexual intercourse is about procreation and that same-sex couples would face difficulty in raising children.
- Paul Goldsmith is to become spokesperson for Finance and Infrastructure
- Todd McClay and Chris Bishop will split the Regional and Economic Development portfolio: McClay will take Economic Development and Bishop will take Regional Development and Transport
- Brett Hudson will take on the Police portfolio held by Bishop
- Jo Hayes has been appointed spokesperson for Māori Development and Treaty of Waitangi Negotiations following the departure of Nuk Korako
- Paulo Garcia will become the Associate Foreign Affairs spokesperson
- Gerry Brownlee has been given the Foreign Affairs portfolio
- Tim Macindoe will become the Shadow Attorney-General held by Adams
- Michael Woodhouse will become the Associate Finance spokesperson
- Maggie Barry will take over the Disability Issues portfolio
- Stuart Smith will be the spokesperson for Immigration
- Todd Muller will be the spokesperson for Forestry
- Nicola Willis will take on the Youth portfolio