Secondary teachers have called off next week's planned strike action after "productive" talks with the Government.
Post-Primary Teachers' Association (PPTA) president Jack Boyle said meetings with the minister had been enough to call off rolling strike action planned to begin on Monday.
"A ministerial forum took place last week to break the impasse in negotiations for teachers' collective agreement negotiations.
"Those talks were very productive and we are pleased to be in a position to call off the strikes."
PPTA members took part in a massive mega-strike on Wednesday, May 29, joining together with the primary teachers' union, the New Zealand Educational Institute (NZEI).
Education Minister Chris Hipkins met with negotiatiors from both the PPTA and NZEI in an attempt to break through a deadlock in negotiations.
An NZEI spokesperson called the talks "constructive", and said whatever is decided on in the meetings would be sent to teachers to vote on.
"We are still expecting to present you with the outcomes of this work by the end of this week. You will then get a chance to fully consider and discuss the detail of what is presented.
"Shortly following that, you will have a chance to decide by voting in an electronic ballot on whether to accept or reject any outcomes."