Winston Peters is taking a page out of Donald Trump's book by blasting "fake news" and "hypocritical" New Zealand politics in a social media video.
"Fake news is not good enough," Peters, the Deputy Prime Minister and New Zealand First leader, said in the video posted on Friday as he travels to Japan for the G20 Foreign Ministers' meeting.
"My advice to the media is: get some serious education on the electoral law of this country and stop writing these speculative articles which do your profession no credit."
Peter said in a previous tweet on Thursday that when he gets back to New Zealand he's going to "sort out the media".
The statements are reminiscent of US President Donald Trump who frequently attacks media outlets like The New York Times and CNN for reports that don't paint a favourable picture of him.
Peters is facing allegations raised in a Stuff investigation that the New Zealand First Foundation appears to have been taking political donations and operating as a "slush fund" for the New Zealand First Party.
He denies the claims.
It's alleged by Stuff that almost half a million dollars has been given to the foundation, and spent on things such as advertising, legal advice and bills.
Electoral law expert Graeme Edgeler said this week the Electoral Act may have been breached if it's true that donations to NZ First Foundation have not been disclosed or recorded.
Peters is insisting no laws have been broken and in a statement on Tuesday said he welcomed the Electoral Commission's announcement that it will be taking a closer look.
Peters has been asked by the media what the purpose of the NZ First Foundation is. It appears to be a trust that loans money to the party, but questions are being raised about whether it's breaching electoral law by not recording donations.
In an interview with Magic Talk earlier this week, Peters was asked what the purpose of the foundation is, to which he replied: "I suppose its purpose is to advance democracy in this great country."
In the social media video, Peters pointed the finger at the National Party, referring to an ongoing Serious Fraud Office investigation launched in March following a complaint by former National MP Jami-Lee Ross.
Ross alleged National leader Simon Bridges had committed electoral fraud by asking him to split up a $100,000 donation from businessman Zhang Yikun into smaller amounts, so they could be hidden from the Electoral Commission.
Bridges denies the claims, despite Ross releasing a secret recording last year in which the pair could be heard discussing what to do with the donation.
"One of the amazing things about New Zealand politics is just how hypocritical some people can be," Peters said in the video.
"For example, [National leader] Simon Bridges is attacking New Zealand First and me on the question of donations to the party.
"All these donations, of course, were under the limits defined by the electoral law - we've met all requirements.
"But it's [Bridges] and his party that's in front of the Serious Fraud Office and have been for eight long months - but you wouldn't think so the way he's carrying on at the moment."
The National Party has been approached for comment.
Peters' lawyer Brian Henry and trustee of the NZ First Foundation has threatened to sue Bridges and National MP Nick Smith if they repeat allegations about New Zealand First donations that were made in Parliament.
Peters denies knowing about it.