The Health Minister has been left perplexed after an Opposition MP asked if he had ever been in a moshpit during questioning in Parliament, sparking laughter in the Chamber.
Last week, the Ministry of Health revealed that a man with New Zealand's fourth confirmed case of the coronavirus COVID-19 went to a rock concert in Auckland, and he is the partner of the second case announced earlier that week.
Health Minister Dr David Clark said in Parliament on Wednesday that those people who were at the February 28 Tool concert "have been identified as casual contacts" - and it's raised eyebrows among the Opposition.
National MP Michael Woodhouse, the Opposition's health spokesperson, asked Dr Clark on Thursday how the concert-goers could be considered "casual contacts" when the definition relates to those within about a metre and a half for more than 15 minutes.
"Does he really believe patrons in the moshpit and close to the affected patron were considered casual contacts, given the concert lasted several hours?"
Dr Clark said he's not going to "second guess the clinical judgment of scientific experts", to which Woodhouse responded: "Has he ever been in a moshpit?"
The Health Minister appeared perplexed, telling House Speaker Trevor Mallard: "I'm not clear how that really is relevant when we're talking about clinical expert advice."
Mallard, sporting a smile, responded: "I can't imagine that being in the ministerial responsibility of the Minister of Health, to be in a moshpit."
Woodhouse then doubled down, asking the Health Minister what he knows about moshpits and whether he's "seen reports that moshpits are hot, sweaty, close contact situations that can last for hours and go all night".
It sparked laughter in the Chamber, prompting Mallard to call for lawmakers to "settle".
Dr Clark said he's proud of how the infected couple has handled their circumstance by self-isolating, contacting the Healthline, and getting tested.
"In that case, there was a notification put out after the Tool concert precisely so that anybody there with concerns would take the appropriate action and self-monitor."
A Northland man who attended the Tool concert has confirmed he is sick and in self-isolation, and according to Stuff, he and his partner are awaiting results to see if they have COVID-19.
With two big public events coming up this weekend - the Christchurch terror attack memorial and Pasifika Festival - Dr Clark called for Kiwis to be vigilant but also maintain perspective.
"No one can give any absolutely guarantees in the current environment but... we have only had five confirmed cases."