The Council of Licenced Firearms Owners (COLFO) is in court fighting for a Judicial Review of parts of the Government's firearms reform.
Changes to laws around firearms and ammunition came into effect following the Christchurch mosque shootings in March last year.
On Monday, representatives of COLFO appeared in the Wellington High Court seeking a judicial review of law changes around ammunition.
COLFO spokesperson Nicole McKee told Newshub the council believes the law changes were passed before an adequate amount of debate had taken place.
"The Government arbitrarily banned certain types of ammunition without any evidence that it will make New Zealand a safer place," McKee said.
"So what we're looking at is a banning of private property without compensation, and we believe that that sets a dangerous precedent for things outside of firearms in the future."
A second tranche of changes to firearms laws is expected later this year, with Police Minister Stuart Nash pushing for a gun register to be added as well as a number of other additions to firearms laws that were not added when the original changes were made to legislation last year.
In March, Nash told RNZ gun laws were well overdue and said he did not want to be asked in 20 years' time why he didn't get the law changes through.