A number of politicians are waving goodbye to Parliament this week, having decided to retire at this election.
It's the last week the House is sitting before Parliament is dissolved and the election campaign gets fully underway. Already, some of the retiring MPs have given their valedictory speeches, but more are scheduled for the coming days.
Here's a list of the New Zealand MPs retiring at the election:
- Amy Adams has represented the Selwyn electorate since 2008.
- Maggie Barry has represented the North Shore electorate since 2011.
- Paula Bennett currently represents the Upper Harbour electorate. She was a List MP between 2005 and 2008, before becoming MP for Waitakere, which in 2014 was renamed Upper Harbour.
- David Carter is currently a List MP. Carter represented Selwyn between 1994 and 1996, before becoming Banks Peninsula's MP from 1996 to 1999. Since then, he has been a List MP.
- Sarah Dowie has represented the Invercargill electorate since 2014.
- Nathan Guy currently represents the Otaki electorate. He was a List MP between 2005 and 2008, when he became the representative for Otaki.
- Nikki Kaye has represented the Auckland Central electorate since 2008.
- Alastair Scott has represented the Wairarapa electorate since 2014.
- Anne Tolley currently represents the East Coast electorate. Tolley was a List MP between 1999 and 2002, and electorate MP since 2005.
- Nicky Wagner is currently a List MP. Wagner was a List MP between 2005 and 2011, before two terms as the MP for Christchurch Central. Since the 2017 election, she has been a List MP.
- Hamish Walker has represented the Clutha-Southland electorate since 2017.
- Jian Yang has been a List MP since 2011.
- Clare Curran has represented the Dunedin South electorate since 2008.
- Ruth Dyson currently represents the Port Hills electorate. Dyson was MP for Lyttelton between 1993 and 1996, before becoming a List MP until 1999. She was then the MP for Banks Peninsula, which was renamed Port Hills in 2008.
- Iain Lees-Galloway has represented the Palmerston North electorate since 2008.
- Raymond Huo was a List MP between 2008 and 2014, and 2017 and 2020.
- Gareth Hughes has been a List MP since 2010.
New Zealand First:
- Clayton Mitchell has been a List MP since 2014.