Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has outlined the key details she wants in place before the trans-Tasman bubble can take off, and it will likely be on a state-by-state basis.
But there was no announcement about a firm date of when quarantine-free travel between the two countries will resume, which has left some desperate tourism operators fuming.
With the borders closed New Zealand's tourism-mecca Queenstown is still a ghost town. It's holding onto hope the Government will allow tourists back with a trans-Tasman bubble.
That's what owner of Queenstown's Perky's Bar, Max Perkins wanted on Monday.
"If the bubble was open we'd have more customers, we'd have certainty, the staff would have more hours, they would have more certainty as well so yeah it's just a real shame."
All tourism operators across the country have been desperate for certainty.
Chris Roberts from Tourism Industry Aotearoa says the industry just wants a date.
"What we're looking for today is a date - not a promise that the bubble is coming, but a date it is going to start."
But after nine months of trans-Tasman negotiations - they still didn't get it.
Just a pre-bubble checklist - a list of everything that needs to be ticked off before we can travel to some Australian states.
The Government's six criteria are:
That our response framework for when there are cases in Australia is fit for purpose.
We have measures in place to effectively contact-trace travellers from Australia, should we need to.
All technical issues are resolved; including transiting passengers and managed isolation fees - when, for instance, passengers arrive in either Australia or New Zealand but their ultimate destination is different.
That we have the appropriate regulatory mechanisms in place.
That airports, airlines and agencies are ready.
That the Director-General of Health has provided an up-to-date health assessment.
But travellers could still find themselves stranded if borders slam shut.
Ardern wouldn't give the certainty of a date the bubble would open - the only thing she would confirm was the date Cabinet will decide the date - April 6.