Jacinda Ardern has condemned the "despicable attack" on Kabul airport in Afghanistan and confirmed the final Defence Force evacuee flight has landed safely in the UAE.
At least 90 Afghans are dead and more than 140 wounded after a terrorist attack by ISIS at Kabul's airport overnight. The US Central Command confirmed 12 US troops were killed and 15 were injured.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with all of those in Afghanistan who have lost lives or suffered injuries, including US forces, our other partners on the ground, and the families and friends of all who have been affected by this appalling attack," Ardern said on Friday.
"We strongly condemn what is a despicable attack on many innocent families and individuals who were simply seeking safety from the incredibly difficult and fragile situation in Afghanistan."
The NZ Defence Force has confirmed no personnel were in Kabul at the time of the explosions as they had all safely departed. The Defence Force also confirmed no New Zealand evacuees were left within Kabul airport.
Over the course of the mission, the C-130 Defence Force aircraft undertook three flights out of Kabul and successfully brought out hundreds of evacuees who are destined for both New Zealand and Australia.
Australia also brought out a number of those destined for New Zealand.
So far, 276 New Zealanders and permanent residents, their families, and other visa holders have been evacuated from Kabul destined for New Zealand, according to a statement from the Prime Minister.
Of the 276, 228 have already departed the United Arab Emirates for New Zealand. These numbers are likely to change as processing of those on board partner flights continues.
An additional group of 100 people, including New Zealanders and Australians, were taken out on the final flight on Thursday night out of Kabul via the Defence Force's C-130 Hercules.
The exact number of those destined for New Zealand that were on board that flight will be available once current processing is complete.
United States President Joe Biden has issued a warning to those responsible for the Kabul airport attack, promising to "hunt" them down.
"To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget," he said from the White House. "We will hunt you down and make you pay."
Ardern has thanked Australia, the United States and the United Arab Emirates for their support in New Zealand's mission. She also acknlwegded the "incredibly difficult position those still in Afghanistan are in".
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) remains in close contact with New Zealand citizens and permanent residents who had previously registered on SafeTravel or otherwise made contact.
"The situation in Afghanistan is incredibly complex and fragile and continues to change rapidly," Ardern said. "Our next job is to consider what can be done for those who remain in Afghanistan still. That will not be a quick or easy task."
All those known to have been in Afghanistan were advised by MFAT of the "ongoing and very high threat of terrorist attack" and warned not to go to Hamid Karzai International Airport and to leave the airport if they were nearby.
MFAT advised them on Thursday of the "ongoing and very high threat of terrorist attack" and to "move away to a safe location and await further advice".