Parliament staff were told to prepare for lockdown as police hunted person suspected to be armed - but no gun found

However, no firearm was found when the vehicle was searched
However, no firearm was found when the vehicle was searched Photo credit: Newshub.

Key Parliamentary staff were told to prepare for the precinct to be locked down on Wednesday morning as police hunted a person they believed to be armed. 

Newshub understands Parliamentary Services chief executive Rafael Gonzalez-Montero told key staff he was going to lock down on the advice of police - and asked them to try and keep people as calm as possible. 

Gonzalez-Montero has since told precinct staff in an email that an incident earlier on Wednesday "which could have posed a threat was resolved quickly by Parliamentary Security and Police".

"As the situation was unfolding Police advised Parliamentary Security of a potential need to close the Parliamentary buildings to the public and advise people inside to remain there until further notice. Thanks to the efficient and quick work of Police and Parliamentary Security the situation was resolved before we could send out a message to the complex."

He said "these events can be unsettling" and anyone that needs support should reach out to their manager or other support networks.

"My sincere thanks to Parliamentary Security and Police for their work."

Police have confirmed to Newshub that a report was received at about 8:39am on Wednesday morning of a suspected firearm inside a vehicle outside Parliament grounds.

"Parliament security temporarily closed its doors to the public as a precaution," a spokesperson said. "Police responded and the sole occupant of the vehicle was detained."

However, no firearm was found when the vehicle was searched and police "are satisfied there is no ongoing risk".