The Prime Minister says the Auckland CBD shooter's motivation was neither political nor ideological, but he doesn't have information on what did lead them to open fire.
Chris Hipkins addressed media on Thursday morning after being briefed on the shooting at a construction site on lower Queen Street that has left three dead, including the offender.
He said this appeared to be the actions of an individual and there was no wider national security threat and no need to change New Zealand's security threat level.
There was limited information he could provide on the offender, other than the fact that he was armed with a pump action shotgun, which he fired as he worked his way through the site.
On the upper levels of the building, the man positioned himself in an elevator. Shots were fired and the man was found dead shortly afterwards. Six others have been injured, including police.
Newshub understands police are investigating reports the shooter was a man in his 20s, a worker wearing an electronic bracelet who came in with a shotgun. People thought he was joking until he opened fire.
"My understanding from the advice that we've received so far is that there was no identified political or ideological motivation for the shooting and therefore no national security risk," Hipkins told reporters.
He said he had no information "about what the actual motivation was", but expected police would share any information when they could.
Hipkins couldn't say if the police killed the offender or if the gun used by him was licenced.
He also couldn't say if the firearm was banned in the Government's recent gun reforms.
"I did ask a few questions about the nature of the shotgun. There are some pump action shotguns that can be legitimately purchased. I don't have information on whether the firearm in question falls into that category or into the category of one of the banned weapons."
It is too early to say whether more gun reform was needed, Hipkins said.
Hipkins also said he didn't any information to form a judgement on whether the shooting could have been prevented.
There is also no wider national security threat, with the Prime Minister wanting to reassure New Zealanders as well others in the country for the FIFA's Women's World Cup that these were the actions of an individual and no one else was being sought.
The FIFA events are expected to go ahead as scheduled, but there will be an increased police presence around Auckland for reassurance.
Hipkins will travel to Auckland later in the day to join Police Commissioner Andrew Coster at the scene and provide any support he can.