Kiri Allan arrest: Timeline of Police Commissioner's communications with Police Minister

New information released to Newshub reveals a timeline of the correspondence between the Police Commissioner and Police Minister after former Justice Minister Kiri Allan was arrested last month.

At 9:56pm on the night of July 23, Police Commissioner Andrew Coster texted Police Minister Ginny Andersen asking if she was able to take a call "on a no surprises matter".

After Andersen said she could take the call, Cmmr Coster rang her to say Allan was "being dealt with by Police following a crash and that media appeared to be aware", according to a summary released on Tuesday under the Official Information Act.

Cmmr Coster advised the minister that Allan "had blown over the legal limit and was still being processed".

At 10:14pm, Cmmr Coster received a phone call from Andersen who was "concerned about Minister Allan's wellbeing and wanting to ensure that Minister Allan was accompanied by someone upon her release by Police".

"I indicate I will ask for her to be contacted so someone can meet Minister Allan."

There's a text a short time later from Cmmr Coster informing her there is a "bit of process to go through" before Allan might be released. He said "it could well be a couple of hours from now".

"They are mindful of well-being issues. Thanks Andy," he said.

Andersen replied: "Thanks Andy."

At 10:57pm, Andersen rang Cmmr Coster saying that "someone will collect Minister Allan to take care of her when she is released by Police".

The commissioner also received two phone calls from Police's executive director media and communications. 

The first was to tell Cmmr Coster that there had been "an accident involving Minister Allan with further details still to be ascertained". The second phone call was to say that Allan had been arrested and that media were aware of the accident.

Police said there were no communications between the Police Commissioner and the Prime Minister or his staff.

The day after Allan's arrest, Hipkins fronted a press conference to say he was first alerted by his chief of staff at 10pm the night prior that Allan had been taken into policy custody after a car crash on Evans Bay Parade in Wellington shortly after 9pm on the Sunday night.

She was taken to the Wellington Central Police Station before being released at about 1am.

She was charged with careless use of a motor vehicle and refusing to accompany a police officer, and will appear in court on September 4. Allan was also issued an infringement notice for excess breath alcohol between 250 and 400mcg.

"While her actions are inexcusable, I was given information that she was experiencing extreme emotional distress at the time of the incident," Hipkins said at the time.

"My initial concerns last night were for her immediate safety and well-being. It appears that some of her personal struggles came to a head yesterday and were contributing factors in this incident."

Hipkins spoke to Allan on Monday morning and told he didn't believe she was fit to hold a minister warrant. She had already sent a message saying she intended to resign from her portfolios, which included Justice and Regional Development.

He said initially the "facts weren't particularly clear", including whether Allan had been the one driving. However, since she was charged, Hipkins said she wasn't contesting that she was driving.

Police later confirmed a dog unit was called to the scene of the crash to "assist with scene enquiries". It was "not required to locate people as staff were already talking with individuals allegedly involved in the crash".

Allan has announced she will not stand for re-election in the East Coast electorate at the October 14 election.

Allan took mental health leave from Parliament in June, but was back at work the week prior to incident, including to make an announcement on a new ram-raid offence. 

"After taking some time out she told me she was ready to return to work," Hipkins said at the time.

"Those who saw her last week in the House and here in the theatrette launching a ram-raid policy would have observed her at the top of her game. Last night's incident, however, is evidence that there are not always quick fixes when it comes to mental health. Things can flip quite quickly and without warning."