Police are asking that Christchurch remembrance gatherings in rural areas be cancelled due to a lack of police resources.
The National Remembrance Service for the victims of the mosque shooting attacks will take place on Friday at 10am.
- Christchurch terror attack: Cat Stevens to perform at National Remembrance Service
- Kiwi farmer who surrendered semi-automatic after Christchurch terror attack gains global attention
The service will be held at Hagley Park in Christchurch and many smaller rural centres were planning public events where the service would be live streamed.
The Gore District Council was coordinating an event at the St James Theatre for the public to watch the remembrance service, however has now cancelled it.
Gore District Mayor Tracy Hicks said the event had been called off on the advice of police.
"We have been working with police on this event," he said on a message on social media.
"However, today we have been advised that nationally rural areas are being asked to consider cancelling any public events relating to the National Remembrance Service," Hicks said.
He said the reason for the request was that police resources throughout the country have been, and continue to be, stretched.
In a statement to media, police said the safety of the public is their top priority.
"While police have no information to suggest any specific risks to public safety, the national threat level remains high and police's vigilance and visible presence throughout New Zealand will continue," it said.
"Decisions on whether or not events should be held in the current environment is for event organisers."
The statement explained police have provided advice to councils across the country about the number and nature of events, in the interests of security for all involved.
"The public is asked to continue their vigilance and report suspicious activity."