Photos of a horse blinded by fireworks in Scotland have reignited calls for a ban here in New Zealand.
The images were shared online by Charley Taylor, from Aberdeen, who said her "beloved" horse Dettori suffered an "excruciating" injury after part of a firework went directly into the animal's eye.
"To the man that decided to set off a half an hour display of fireworks next to a field of horses, your actions have directly inflicted excruciating pain and terror to our beloved Dettori. Your awful actions have meant that a part of the firework you set off has gone directly into Dettori's eye, pushed his eye so far into the socket that all the fluid has come out and filled with blood," wrote Taylor.
Because of the injury, the horse either had to be put down or have its eye surgically removed.
"In the words of our vet 'the damage is so severe it is irreversible'," Taylor said.
"No animal deserves this."
A Gofundme page set up to help the horse - with any leftover funds going to the Scotish SPCA - has so far received almost £14,000.
And the incident didn't just cause a stir in Scotland. Horse lovers in New Zealand have also weighed in the topic.
"Such an unnecessary wound. This makes my blood boil. I hope the horse recovers well and recovers from the trauma," wrote one person online.
"It's about time these were banned," wrote another.
A spokesperson for the SPCA in New Zealand said the organisation receives "dozens of calls" across the country relating to animals that are injured and frightened from fireworks every year.
"We’ve long called for a ban on the private sale and use of fireworks and recently presented our case directly to the Parliamentary Select Committee," the spokesperson said.
"For those with horses, to minimise stress SPCA recommends that you keep your horse in its usual environment and routine, and with familiar companions unless a firework display is planned close by, in which case consider moving your horse to another location.
"Check fencing is secure and check paddocks and stables thoroughly for anything which could cause injury. If you want to keep your horse inside during nearby displays, practice this routine."