Video: Matulino, Thompson look to put drug drama behind them

Ben Matulino (Getty Images)

Recalled Warriors Ben Matulino and Bodene Thompson have promised to make amends with a big performance in their NRL return against Penrith.

The pair were among six players demoted to reserve grade and then ruled ineligible to play for their countries in last weekend's representative round for breaking team protocol.

Matulino declined to comment on details of the incident that led to the disciplinary action, but admitted he "did a bad thing" and the 23-Test Kiwi said the experience would provide added motivation.

"This week has to be a big one for me," Matulino said.

"I just have to go out there, do my job and play well."

Matulino believes he has learned from the experience and is grateful to the club for the support and his selection

"They have been pretty supportive and how to deal with it, Cappy has showed a lot of faith in me putting me back in the team."

Thompson also wouldn't elaborate on what happened, saying it was an internal matter, but added the past week had been like an eternity.

"You feel a bit embarrassed and ashamed and we know we let everybody down," he said.

"We just want to make amends for it and that's what we're going to try to do this weekend - get a win for the boys, the supporters and everybody around us."

The Warriors take on Penrith from Christchurch's AMI Stadium at 5pm Saturday.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz