Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said allegations that he was directly implicated in doping offences were an attempt to sway a ruling on Russia's ban from international athletics ahead of the Rio Olympics.
German public broadcaster ARD/WDR, whose reports on systematic doping in Russia have led to an investigation and the suspension of Russia's track and field athletes, said on Wednesday Mutko had covered up a positive doping test by a top-league footballer.
The broadcaster said in a documentary shown on German television that it had documents that supported the allegation, including an alleged internal sports ministry e-mail exchange.
One e-mail discussing the Russian first division player's failed test, said the matter should be forwarded to 'VL'. The broadcaster said this referred to Vitaly Mutko.
ARD also showed footage of what it said were two Russian coaches, banned from sport for doping offences, continuing to train top Russian athletes.
"The aim of this film is obvious: to influence the committee on the reinstatement of Russian athletics on the eve of its meeting," Mutko was quoted as saying by Interfax news agency before the documentary was broadcast on Wednesday.
After being suspended by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) last year, Russia is trying to convince sports authorities it is serious about rooting out cheats in time for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in August.
The IAAF will decide whether Russia has done enough to have the ban repealed at a meeting in Vienna on June 17.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said all doping allegations had to be supported with evidence and unfounded accusations would be treated as "absolute slander."
"Solving (the doping) requires a consolidation of efforts aimed at a continuous improvement of the anti-doping system by all interested parties," the ministry said.
Reuters