Warriors utility Thomas Leuluai will return to England at the end of the season after being granted a release from the last year of his contract.
The 31-year-old began his second stint with the Warriors in 2013 after returning from eight seasons in the English Super League, and is heading back to the UK.
Leuluai said he was grateful to the club for clearing the way for him to take his English-born wife Natalie and their baby daughter back to the United Kingdom.
"I've loved being in familiar surroundings even though we've had our share of challenges but we've reached a point where we would like to go back," Leuluai said.
"I can't thank the Warriors enough for their understanding with this. Jim and Cappy [Andrew McFadden] have been fantastic about it."
Leuluai made his Warriors debut as a 17-year-old against the Bulldogs in 2003, and played his 77th game for the club in the win over the Titans on Saturday.
"Tommy is contracted until the end of next season but he approached us some time ago asking for a release so he and his family could return to England," said Warriors managing director Jim Doyle.
"While we were certainly keen to see him play out the term of his contract, Tommy has always made it clear he would go back to England at some stage."
Leuluai has also played 34 Tests for the Kiwis since his debut in 2003.
Wigan Warriors later announced news that Leuluai would be re-joining the club first as a player, before taking up a coaching role.
Leuluai will see out his playing days with the club before transitioning to coaching.
"It is clear also that Tommy has all the attributes needed to become a very good coach and we look forward to him starting that stage of his career with us in a few years' time," said Ian Lenagan, Wigan Warriors chairman.
He previously spent six years at Wigan, racking up 189 club appearances.
Newshub.