Manchester City sign Everton defender John Stones

John Stones (Getty Images)

Manchester City have signed England centre back John Stones from Everton as new manager Pep Guardiola continues to reshape his side for the start of the Premier League season.

City said in a statement on Tuesday that Stones had agreed to a six-year contract at the Etihad Stadium, with British media putting the transfer fee at NZ$86.41 million

The 22-year-old, who was part of the England squad at Euro 2016 but did not feature as they crashed out in the last 16, was strongly linked last year with a move to Chelsea.

"John is an excellent young English defender and we are all really pleased he is joining us," City director of football Txiki Begiristain told the club website.

"We have worked hard to bring him to City and we feel we are signing one of the best central defenders in Europe."

Stones, who joined Everton from Barnsley in 2013 for NZ$54.88 million has become the world's second most-expensive defender after Brazilian David Luiz, who moved from Chelsea to Paris St Germain in 2014 for NZ$91.42 million.

"Now the deal's done, I'm looking forward to the next stage in my career," he said.

"I've obviously seen what's going on here at the Etihad. It's an ambitious club with a great manager so I can't wait to get stuck in and help achieve the goals."

Spaniard Guardiola, who joined the Manchester club from Bayern Munich in the off-season, has identified the defender as the perfect fit for his possession-based game.

"We want to help John show his quality with us and improve on what he has already achieved," Guardiola said.

"I like the way he plays the game and I'm looking forward to welcoming him into the squad."

Stones could make his debut in City's opening Premier League game on Sunday at home to Sunderland.

Reuters

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz