Video: Anthony Joshua announces second title defence

Anthony Joshua (Getty file)

British heavyweight Anthony Joshua has confirmed the date and venue for his second title defence.

The Englishman has announced that it will take place at the Manchester Arena, contrary to promoter Eddie Hearns' suggestions of Millenium Stadium earlier in the week, on November 26.

Hearns' also hinted during the week that New Zealand contender Joseph Parker could feature on the fight's undercard.

Duco Events owner, David Higgins said discussions with Hearn have been constant and ideally both parties like the idea of Parker fighting in the co-main event of the November card.

"Certainly a March fight is being discussed as a possibility," he said.

"Including a build up fight on the mega event in November.

"If we build it up with Joe on the undercard it will make it much bigger come March, so it kinda makes sense."

Meanwhile, the IBF kingpin is looking forward to getting back in the ring for his November title defence.

"I can't wait to get back up north," Joshua told BBC News.

"I have been inspired over the summer by the fighters in the Olympics. It has given me a new perspective and huge hunger to get back in ring."

His opponent will be officially named on 26 September.

The 26-year-old remains unbeaten, having  defended his title for the first time with a seventh round knock-out of American Dominic Breazeale in June after winning the belt against Charles Martin in two rounds in April.

Parker meanwhile must beat German Alexander Dimitrenko next month to retain his mandatory title shot.

Newshub.

 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz