Video: Western Force captain Matt Hodgson hits out at SANZAAR

Western Force captain Matt Hodgson has slammed SANZAAR following his team's entertaining 46-41 win over the Southern Kings in Perth on Sunday.

The announcement came through on Sunday night that the rugby governing body has rearranged Super Rugby's format for next season - resulting in the axing of two South African teams and one Australian side.

The Force, along with the Kings and fellow South African side the Cheetahs, have been identified as teams likely facing the chop amid finance and results-based assessments.

An emotional Hodgson said he was trying to put it at the back of his mind to try and just enjoy the moment.

"We've spoken about it just then in the sheds, but we're too busy enjoying the win and celebrating with our fans because that's probably the most important thing for us at the moment," Hodgson said.

"We'll live each day like it was our last."

Western Force fans protesting the axing (Getty image)

Introduced into Super Rugby back in 2006, the Force have never made the finals, coming closest in 2007 by coming seventh on the ladder.

But Hodgson said rather than their merit in the competition being based on results, the franchise had developed a strong rugby base, one which would likely perish if the team was cut.

"My life's here, it gave me my opportunity, I probably wouldn't have played Super Rugby if the Force didn't turn up, I'm lucky enough they've given me 130 caps and I've set up my life here.

"More important to that, I go back to when I first came over, doing rugby clinics for young kids and now I'm playing alongside them. Now they don't have that opportunity if we're gone, so that's going to be disappointing. They'll either go east coast or overseas earlier or pick up another code and I think that's the worst thing."

As the only foundation player remaining with the Force, Hodgson has been a shining beacon for the franchise.

He made the Wallabies in 2009 and has built a reputation as a hard-working backrower who gave his all for the team.

When it came to what the Force's scrapping would mean for him as well as others, the 35-year-old was full of doubt.

"Being a parent myself, you don't know where to put your kid now. Do I put him in rugby or do I put him to stay in Western Australia to play AFL so it's been frustrating."

Matt Hodgson signing an autograph after the Force win over the Kings (Getty image)

Hodgson was also highly critical of how the issue had been handled by SANZAAR.

"I think the way it's been done is probably the most annoying thing. I've done four press conferences this week and I've had one rugby question and that's annoying. For kids to turn up here it's great but now they don't know if Western Force is going to be their future."

Minutes after SANZAAR's announcement, the South African Rugby Union said they were opening internal discussions and the teams axed would not be announced until June.

Meanwhile, an announcement regarding the ARU is due on Monday morning.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz