EPL Wrap: Burnley stun Chelsea, Watford steals a draw against Liverpool

  • 13/08/2017

Chelsea had two players sent off and lost to Burnley 3-2 in the first match of its English Premier League title defence on Saturday (Sunday NZ Time), intensifying the concerns surrounding the champions after their frustrating offseason in the transfer market.

Captain Gary Cahill was shown a straight red card for a studs-first lunge in the 13th minute, then the champions conceded three goals in a 20-minute period before halftime.

Striker Sam Vokes scored two of them by converting crosses, sandwiching a stunning volley by left back Stephen Ward.

Chelsea improved after halftime. Alvaro Morata, on as a second-half substitute, scored on his EPL debut.

But any hopes of an unlikely comeback disappeared when midfielder Cesc Fabregas was red-carded in the 81st minute after receiving his second booking.

However, David Luiz ensured a tense finish when he volleyed home in the 88th after being teed up by the influential Morata.

Chelsea, which won 17 of its 19 home games last season, became the second straight team to begin its league title defence with a loss, after Leicester last season.

Liverpool drop points at Watford

Watford players celebrate scoring against Liverpool
Watford players celebrate scoring against Liverpool Photo credit: Getty Images

Liverpool conceded in second-half injury time to draw 3-3 at Watford on Saturday (Sunday NZ Time) as the team's defensive frailties flared in its first game of the Premier League season.

Scoring goals wasn't a problem for Liverpool at Vicarage Road despite the absence of unsettled playmaker Philippe Coutinho, but the visitors couldn't keep them out either, showing lessons haven't been learnt from last season.

Having already conceded two soft goals in the first half, Liverpool failed to deal with a near-post corner in the fourth minute of injury time. Richarlison fired in a shot from an acute angle that goalkeeper Simon Mignolet parried onto the crossbar, and Miguel Britos headed the loose ball over the line from less than a metre out.

Huddersfield embarrass Palace

Huddersfield players celebrate their first goal against Crystal Palace
Huddersfield players celebrate their first goal against Crystal Palace Photo credit: Getty Images

Striker Steve Mounie scored twice as promoted Huddersfield stunned Crystal Palace with a 3-0 victory at Selhurst Park, spoiling Frank de Boer's debut as a Premier League coach on Saturday (Sunday NZT).

Huddersfield took the lead after 23 minutes when Aaron Mooy's corner was turned goalwards by Chris Schindler's glancing header and the ball went in off Palace defender Joel Ward in a goalmouth melee.

The visitors, who outmuscled Palace in midfield in the opening 45 minutes, went two up three minutes later, their new signing Mounie heading Mooy's cross emphatically past Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey.

Mounie, who joined the promoted side from France's Montpellier in July, scored his second goal 12 minutes from time in a counter-attack after being set up by substitute Collin Quaner.

Rooney scores on Everton return

Wayne Rooney moments after scoring a goal on his return to Everton
Wayne Rooney moments after scoring a goal on his return to Everton Photo credit: Getty Images

Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney marked his first Premier League game back at boyhood club Everton by scoring in a 1-0 win over Stoke.

Rooney headed home a right-wing cross in first-half injury time to score 4869 days after his last goal for Everton before joining Manchester United, where he became one of English football's most decorated players.

It was the 31-year-old striker's 199th Premier League goal.

In other fixtures Manchester City beat Brighton 2-0, West Bromwich Albion eased past Bournemouth 1-0 and Southampton and Swansea played out a 0-0 draw