FA Cup Wrap: Manchester City outclass Cardiff City, Chelsea thump Newcastle

Manchester City found the back of the net twice in a comfortable win over Cardiff City.
Manchester City found the back of the net twice in a comfortable win over Cardiff City. Photo credit: Getty Images

Manchester City swept aside Cardiff City 2-0 with first-half goals from Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling to reach the FA Cup fifth round in their quest to win an unprecedented four trophies this season.    

Pep Guardiola's side began without a recognised striker but took just eight minutes to go ahead when midfielder De Bruyne rolled a clever free kick under the wall as the defenders jumped to block the expected direction of his shot.      

"The wall was close so I thought it would be easier to hit it under rather than over," said De Bruyne.

Bernardo Silva thought he had netted a spectacular second goal for the visitors with a long-range shot but Leroy Sane was flagged offside, a controversial decision that led to heated discussions between Guardiola and the fourth official.           

City's dominance was never in doubt though and Silva turned provider for the second goal, perfectly directing a cross for the unmarked Sterling to head the ball into the net after 37 minutes for his 19th goal of the season in all competitions. 

Cardiff twice went close after the interval through Kenneth Zohore and Junior Hoilett but City always looked comfortable and Sterling and Silva spurned chances to extend the lead.         

Danilo also drew an excellent save from home keeper Neil Etheridge before Championship side Cardiff's day got worse with the late dismissal of Joe Bennett for a second bookable offence.   

Chelsea. Photo credit: Getty Images

His first clattering challenge on Sane led to the German's substitution at the interval.     

"We knew how they played -- they caught us a few times and that is football," said De Bruyne.

Guardiola said the injury would be assessed on Monday.             

Chelsea recovered from their League Cup semi-final defeat to Arsenal on

Wednesday by easing past Newcastle with a 3-0 win as Michy Batshuayi struck a brace.

Former Blues boss Rafael Benitez returned to Stamford Bridge once again but could not cause a fourth-round upset as the hosts cruised through.

Batshuayi finished off a good team move to open the scoring in the 31st minute.

The Belgium striker, linked with a January move away from the club, then doubled the lead just before half-time with a deflected effort.

Newcastle had kept Chelsea goalkeeper Willy Caballero busy but could not find a way to get back into the tie before Marcos Alonso sealed victory 18 minutes from time with a fine free-kick.