The Canberra Raiders haven't made a formal offer to Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson but they have acknowledged there has been contact made.
The ace playmaker is off contract in 2020 and the club recently told Johnson he was free to test the open market.
- Warriors gambling on Shaun Johnson's market value
- Warriors star Shaun Johnson let down by 'harsh' reports
Reports immediately came to light that the Raiders were hot for Johnson's signature but club chief executive Don Furner says those reports were a little skewed.
"What happens is the manager rings you up and says would you like Shaun Johnson and 'do you think he would be a good player at your club?' and you don't say no," Furner told reporters.
"Because one, it's disrespectful. But then you go 'great, we'd love a player like that in our team'."
The link to the Raiders is an obvious one for Johnson with his former head coach Andrew McFadden joining Ricky Stuart's coaching staff in 2019.
The 'Green Machine' have the cap and squad space with Blake Austin leaving for England and another former Warriors half, Ata Hingano, set to miss the start of the season with a serious shoulder injury suffered in Tonga's historic test with Australia in Auckland last month.
But Raiders captain Jarrod Croker told reporters on Monday that there haven't been any internal conversations about Johnson since the rumour mill hit overdrive a fortnight ago.
"It's gone pretty quiet since then and I haven't heard any more about it," Croker said.