The Bangladesh cricket team arrived back in Dhaka from New Zealand after shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, which the players narrowly avoided.
On Friday, a gunman opened fire on worshippers gathered for afternoon prayers at mosques located at Deans Ave and Linwood Ave.
- Christchurch terror attack: Sunday live updates
- Bangladesh cricket team narrowly escaped shooting
- Christchurch terror attack: Muslim sports stars send prayers to mosque victims
The Bangladesh team had been at the Al Noor Mosque on Deans Ave earlier that day to pray, but the team had to leave to attend a press conference - which finished later than expected.
They were on a bus en route to the mosque when the shooting started, and video emerged on social media of the team fleeing.
Hours after the shooting, New Zealand Cricket, in consultation with the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and International Cricket Council, announced the third and final test would be cancelled.
The mosque is located near Hagley Oval where the test was due to take place.
Bangladesh's test cricket captain Mahmudullah Riyad told reports in Dhaka that the team couldn't sleep that night as they were still shaking.
"This incident is unbelievable. When we think of it actually, this incident is very much unexpected.
"Everybody in our team couldn't sleep all night - the only thing we were thinking about that- how lucky we are.
"When we contacted the BCB, they arranged for our return trip as soon as they could, and cancelled the test.
"We would like to request everybody in Bangladesh to keep continuing the prayers for us so that we can overcome this trauma as soon as possible."
Bangladesh Cricket Board president Nazmul Hassan Papon echoed Riyad's comments.
"We told the players to go home. Right now, for the time being, forget everything, spend some days on your own in peaceful minds," said Papon.
"When the situation is right, come and contact us, don't think of sport at the moment. We suggested they spend some quality time with their families, and we are here for any kind of help in any situation."
On Sunday, New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush confirmed the death toll from the shootings has risen to 50. The same number are also injured.