EPL: Manchester City avenge Champions League defeat with win over Tottenham

Manchester City have exacted a bit of revenge on Tottenham Hotspur and returned to the top of the English Premier League on Sunday (NZ time).

Teenager Phil Foden's first goal gave City a 1-0 win over Spurs which lifted them one point above Liverpool with four games left.       

The teams' second meeting in three days failed to match Thursday's European Champions League quarter-final thriller which City won 4-3 but saw Tottenham go through on away goals.          

But the defending champions made it 10 straight league wins and put the pressure back on Liverpool, who visit relegation-threatened Cardiff on Monday.               

"It was a real tough game after our mental defeat on Wednesday," manager Pep Guardiola told the BBC.            

"We could have lost the Premier League today - after Wednesday it was really tough.   

"As a footballer, I could not have done what my players have done today. The title is still in our hands."

City boss Pep Guardiola.
City boss Pep Guardiola. Photo credit: Reuters

Foden, an 18-year-old making just his second league start, finished off a nice team goal in the fifth minute.

Silva sent a ball into the area which the unmarked Sergio Aguero headed back across goal for the equally unmarked Foden to nod home.   

Tottenham remain third, one point above Arsenal and Chelsea, despite their fifth straight away league defeat.

Defeat may prove costly for the North Londoners with three points separating them from sixth-placed United, who have played one game fewer.       

At the back end of the table, Newcastle all but guaranteed their top-flight status next season, while Brighton & Hove Albion earned a valuable point towards safety. 

Ayoze Perez's hat-trick led Newcastle past Southampton 3-1 in a matchup of teams with relegation worries.      

The win lifts the Magpies up three spots to 12th, 10 points above Cardiff who sit at the top of the drop zone.    

Newcastle's safety will be confirmed if Cardiff fail to beat Liverpool, while Southampton stay five points clear of the Welsh side with four games left.           

Brighton are now three points above Cardiff after drawing 0-0 at Wolverhampton Wanderers.  

Elsewhere, Gerard Deulofeu scored twice as Watford beat bottom side Huddersfield 2-1 and relegated Fulham had their second straight win, beating Bournemouth away 1-0 thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic's penalty.

Harvey Barnes' stoppage-time goal earned Leicester a controversial 2-2 draw at West Ham, who moments earlier had an apparent clincher wrongly disallowed for offside.            

In a pair of Sunday games involving teams fighting for the top four and Champions League qualification, Manchester United visit Everton and Arsenal host Crystal Palace.