Dillian Whyte's promoter Eddie Hearn has urged fans to "wait for the facts" before judging the British boxer, who reportedly tested positive for a banned substance.
A report from BoxingScene on Thursday (NZ time) said Whyte tested positive for two metabolites of the anabolic steroid Dianabol before his win over Oscar Rivas on Sunday.
- Dillian Whyte reportedly tested positive for banned substance before Oscar Rivas victory
- Dereck Chisora win sets up bout with 'Australian Chicken' Joseph Parker
The 31-year-old heavyweight, who beat Kiwi Joseph Parker last year, faces an eight-year suspension if it's proven he's tested positive for a banned substance, having served a two-year ban between 2012-14 for unknowingly taking an illegal supplement.
Despite failing the test, Whyte was cleared to fight Rivas, and that's the key point for his promoter Hearn, who said his fighter was "absolutely broken" to hear the accusations.
"Before this bout, this situation was dealt with," Hearn told IFL TV. "Dillian Whyte was cleared by that panel to take part in this fight.
"That is really important because people think this news came in and was brushed under the carpet and no one knew about it.
"A process was adhered to. A hearing was had. He was confirmed and cleared to fight.
"I can't answer lots of questions on the accusations I've seen, some I know are factually incorrect, but I'd rather Willian deal with the situation fairly.
"Give him time to address the situation, make his statement. Wait for the facts and make a judgement."
Hearn said Whyte plans to release a statement on Saturday.
A report from the BBC said the UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) would be making no comment, while the World Boxing Council (WBC) said it had not received any notification about a positive anti-doping test, adding that it is "reviewing the situation".
Whyte's win over Rivas saw him become the mandatory challenger to fight WBC champion Deontay Wilder for the heavyweight title.