Former world heavyweight champion David Haye has criticised people "jumping on the bandwagon" by condemning Dillian Whyte before any possible failed drugs test is officially confirmed.
The World Boxing Council has provisionally suspended Whyte pending an investigation into an adverse finding in a test before his recent bout against Oscar Rivas on July 20.
The Londoner was cleared to fight by UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) and the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) and went on to win the WBC's interim title and the right to challenge champion Deontay Wilder after his unanimous decision win.
- Dillian Whyte breaks silence over positive test claims
- Dillian Whyte's mandatory challenger ranking suspended by WBC in wake of failed drugs test
UK Anti-Doping officials have yet to comment on the matter while the BBBC said it deferred its anti-doping program and sanctions to UKAD.
Former WBA champion Haye believes caution is needed until any misdemeanour is confirmed.
"If it [Whyte's failed drug test] turns out to be incorrect, then there needs to be some compensation paid because it's definitely hurt his brand, distracted him as a fighter and it's potentially a terrible thing," Haye said.
"Hopefully it all gets smoothed out, it's also hurting boxing. Boxing doesn't need headlines like this - particularly if they turn out to be wrong."
Haye said he would reserve judgement until he had the facts.
"A lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon stating these alleged facts as real," he said.
"Nobody is guilty until proven innocent - it's the other way around."
Last week Whyte expressed his frustration on Twitter.
"I am so disappointed with the rubbish that has been said about me over the last few days," he wrote.
"I have lawyers dealing with it, and I have been told that I can't talk about it for good legal reasons. I was cleared to fight, and I won that fight fair and square. Thanks for the support.