Ashley Giles says England's cricket team will rally around an "emotional" and "hurt" Jofra Archer, after the alleged racist abuse he copped at Mount Maunagnui's Bay Oval on Monday.
Archer tweeted his disappointment over taunts from the crowd, as he walked back to the pavillion after his dismissal on the final day of the first test loss to the Blackcaps.
"A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today whilst battling to help save my team," Archer posted on Twitter. "The crowd was been amazing this week except for that one guy, @TheBarmyArmy was good as usual also."
NZ Cricket has been quick to launch a more thorough investigation to identify the person responsible.
"Jofra was clearly emotional and upset," said Giles, England's team director. "And I absolutely get that - It hurts."
"Jofra is a huge part of our team and whatever the abuse, we'd be absolutely right behind him. He's a very important part of our team.
"Our team will rally around him pretty well... but it's a serious incident. He's a young man making his way in the game and we just don't need that sort of thing."
Giles said the prodigious fast bowler had reported the incident to the steward as he came off, as well as England's security when he got back into the changing rooms.
While the test had been played in great spirits, Giles said the incident - believed to be an isolated occurrence - had left an indelible stain on the match.
"It's really unfortunate. Apart from losing the game, it's been a really good series - hard fought and played in the right fashion.
"One person shouldn't ruin that, but it's a shame that sort of thing is still in our society."
Giles has been in close contact with NZC boss David White, who has travelled to Hamilton to meet with the England team and apologise to Archer in person.
He stressed that this wasn't an issue with NZC, with whom Giles says the England team has an "excellent" relationship.
"They're obviously incredibly concerned this has happened on their patch. It's been an excellent tour so far, and we've been incredibly well looked - particularly here at the Mount - and the crowds have been fantastic.
"We're hoping they'll be able to identify the person via CCTV at the ground, but we know they're working very hard to find the culprit."
White told Newshub the incident was "incredibly disappointing" and insisted, if found, the person responsible would be reported to police and banned from future matches in New Zealand.
The second test is scheduled to start at Hamilton's Seddon Park on Friday.