A-League: Wellington Phoenix secure rare win over Adelaide United

Wellington Phoenix coach Ufuk Talay has given his team a perfect "10 out of 10", after their 2-1 come-from-behind win over Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium.

Adelaide took the lead just before the hour, courtesy of a sublime volley from Nikola Mileusnic, before two goals in four minutes from David Ball and Ulises Davila helped Wellington claim their first win in South Australia since 2014.

"I give them 10 out of 10," said Talay. "I'm very proud of the boys, the performance they put out tonight was exceptional.    

"They stuck to the gameplan, they nullified Adelaide from hurting us, because they're a very good team in transition as well."

Adelaide coach Gertjan Verbeek said the visitors were worthy winners, slamming his side's poor performance and blaming their mindset for the loss.

"If I have to give them a number, last week, it was a nine and today it was a three or a four," he said.

"It's a big difference and it's too big, and that's why you can't win this game - it's impossible.

"It had to do with the mindset. I warned them already on Friday, because we were very disappointed about the Friday training.

"Wellington [were] too good an opponent and they deserved to win."

Wellington put Adelaide on notice as early as the first minute, when Reno Piscopo's header was palmed clear by Paul Izzo.

Adelaide's first chance came in the 13th minute, when a Michael Maria header from a corner was scrambled clear.

Referee Adam Fielding awarded the Phoenix a penalty on the half-hour, when Michael Jakobsen fouled Jaushua Sotirio, but it was overruled and a free-kick given on the edge of the area.

The visitors should have broken the deadlock on 38 minutes, when Davila released Sotirio, but with just Izzo to beat, the Reds keeper triumphed.

Wellington started the second half strong, but the hosts opened the scoring against the run of play with a contender for goal of the season.

Mileusnic received a ball on the edge of the 18-yard box and controlled it with his chest, before slicing a volley with his non-preferred foot into the top corner.

The Phoenix drew level 10 minutes later, after Ball turned in a Sotirio cross under the body of Izzo, who got a hand to the shot, but couldn't keep it out.

Wellington were awarded a second penalty three minutes later, but this time, the VAR upheld the decision, after George Blackwood was judged to have pulled back Liberato Cacace.

Davila stepped up and coolly converted the spot-kick to put the visitors in front.

The result moves Wellington up to ninth on the competition table with seven points, while Adelaide remain in third on 12.

Last season's Grand Finalists Perth Glory drop to the bottom of the ladder with just one win and six points under their belt.


Contact Newshub with your story tips: