New Zealand Cricket has filed a complaint with police over the racial abuse directed at Jofra Archer in the first test against England, after failing to identify the culprit.
Last week, the English bowler said on Twitter that a spectator had shouted abuse at him while he was batting during the loss to the Blackcaps at Mount Maunganui's Bay Oval.
On Tuesday, NZC stated they'd been "unable to conclusively identify" the person responsible and had referred the matter to local authorities.
Staff had studied CCTV footage, listened to audio, interviewed bystanders and obtained material on social media but were unable to make any breakthrough.
CEO David White believes there's enough evidence gathered to justify pursuing it further.
"What happened to Jofra was reprehensible and has led to a general upscaling of security around the area of racial abuse at all our international venues," said White.
"Should the person responsible ever reoffend, we believe we have enough information to link him to the Bay Oval incident."
White confirmed an earlier comment that - if caught - the offender would be banned from all international venues in New Zealand for a "lengthy period".
Archer wrote in a coumn for the UK's Daily Mail that he was "over" the incident, but expressed his disappointment that fellow crowd members hadn't been able to help find the culprit.
"I don't want to go into the details of what was said, but I know what I heard," he said. "I thought members of the crowd around the guy might have pulled him up, because I could hear him from the pitch as I was walking off.
"I guess they didn't, but I know I wasn't hearing stuff. I told the security guard what had happened and that was it.
"It's just not called for."