Football: Liverpool youngsters top full strength Everton in FA Cup third-round tie

A stunning strike from 18-year-old Curtis Jones gave a youthful Liverpool a 1-0 win over Everton in their FA Cup third-round tie at Anfield.

Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp made nine changes to his side, starting three teenagers, while Italian counterpart Carlo Ancelotti opted for a largely full-strength Everton line-up.

But the gulf in experience between the two sides was barely evident and will simply add to the pain of Everton, who haven't won at Anfield since September 1999.

For Liverpool, the performance illustrated the talent coming through the production line at their Melwood training ground.

Local-born academy product Jones had a game he will never forget, delivering his first senior goal in a Merseyside derby.

"I can’t sum up my emotions," he said. "For me, it’s huge just being around this team every day and learning from this group of players.

"There are world-class players all over this team, but I think I went out and showed what I could do on the pitch."

Everton should have gone to the break with a lead, with Liverpool keeper Adrian foiling goalbound efforts from Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Mason Holgate and Richarlison in the first half.

Ancelotti will be disappointed that, on each of those occasions, his players aimed straight at the Spanish keeper, but having failed to capitalise, worse was to come.

Klopp visibly appreciated the sight of his youngsters buzzing around the field, playing enterprising football, with the German raising his arms in applause, as teenagers Neco Williams, Harvey Elliott and Jones showed they are well-drilled in the Liverpool method.

Jones delivered the killer blow in the 71st minute, when he unleashed a superb curling effort into the top corner, after a swift exchange with Divock Origi, leaving Everton without a win against their rivals since October 2010.

"They played brave football," said Klopp. "Unbelievable individual performances from the kids and the adults as well,.

"Sensational game and a sensational goal from a 'Scouser' - who could ask for more?"

Late goal spares Spurs' blushes 

Elsewhere, Tottenham Hotspur needed a Lucas Moura equaliser to avoid an FA Cup third-round defeat at second-tier Middlesbrough, as Jose Mourinho's stuttering side emerged with a 1-1 draw.

Eight-time FA Cup winners Spurs trailed to Ashley Fletcher's fine finish just after the break, but Moura's header spared a Tottenham side who were without injured striker Harry Kane.

Tottenham dominated after Moura's equaliser, but 'Boro keeper Tomas Mejias, making his first start of the season, frustrated them with several saves, as his side earned a replay.

Chelsea coast against Forrest

Chelsea made nine changes to their starting line-up, but beat Championship promotion hopefuls Nottingham Forest with goals from Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ross Barkley.

Rooney guides Derby 


Wayne Rooney in action for Derby
Wayne Rooney in action for Derby Photo credit: Getty

Back in England after a spell in Major League Soccer with DC United, former Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney helped Championship side Derby County spring a surprise 1-0 victory at Crystal Palace.

Rooney made his first appearance in the FA Cup since he played for Everton - exactly two years ago - in a 2-1 loss to Liverpool at Anfield.

Palace skipper Luka Milivojevic became the first player in an English match to be sent off as a result of a referee reviewing an incident on a pitch-side monitor during the loss.

Derby striker Chris Martin decided the game with a close-range effort in the 32nd minute.

Top-flight Sheffield United were made to work hard by minor league outfit AFC Fylde, winning 2-1.

In an all-Championship clash, West Bromwich Albion and Charlton Athletic make a combined 20 changes, with Albion winning 1-0, thanks to Kenneth Zohore's goal.

In another all-second tier encounter, Jordan Hugill, on loan from West Ham United, scored twice for Queens Park Rangers in their 5-1 win over Swansea City.

Finally, West Ham overcame a slow start to beat Giliingham 2-0.