Coronavirus hits sport: European rugby suspends Cup tournaments

Tournament organisers have postponed this season's European Champions Cup and Challenge Cup semi-finals and finals.

But European Professional Club Rugby says it "remains committed" to completing both competitions.

The quarter-finals next month had already been postponed, but now the semis from May 1-3 and finals in Marseille on May 22-23 have followed suit.

"In making the decision, the board is abiding by the official directives and recommendations of the relevant authorities in its territories to restrict the COVID-19 pandemic," said EPCR.

Champions Cup holders Saracens are among the clubs still in contention for that trophy this season, but face a tough quarter-final against Leinster in Dublin.

Gallagher Premiership rivals Exeter and Northampton are due to meet at Sandy Park, with the last-eight completed by Toulouse hosting Ulster and Clermont Auvergne entertaining Racing 92.

Meanwhile, the Challenge Cup sees Toulon tackling Scarlets, Bristol meeting the Dragons, Leicester taking on Castres and Bordeaux-Begles meeting Edinburgh.

Reuters

Coronavirus hits sport: European rugby suspends Cup tournaments

Australian NBL suspends free agency 

The ANBL has postponed its free agency period for at least a month, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The free agency period was due to begin on March 30, but has now been delayed until at least May 1, unless the NBL and players association agree to do it earlier.

The best-of-five Grand Final series was abandoned after just three games, when Sydney Kings decided against continuing, due to the rising coronavirus risk.

Perth Wildcats were leading the series 2-1 at the time and were later awarded the title.

AAP

2020 Superyacht Cup Palma cancelled

Organisers of the Superyacht Cup Palma have cancelled the 2020 regatta scheduled for June 17-20, as a result of the ongoing global coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

Provisional new dates for the 25th-anniversary edition have been set for June 23-26, 2021. 

"This ongoing global crisis has made planning for the event impossible and so we have taken the difficult, but necessary decision to cancel this year’s event," commented event director Kate Branagh. 

"We urge everyone to stay safe and we look forward to welcoming the superyacht fleet back to Palma in 2021 for what will be the 25th anniversary of Europe’s longest-running superyacht regatta."

Newshub

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz