Motorsport: Supercars committed to completing 2020 season

The 2020 Supercars season could run into next year in a bid to complete a full championship schedule amid the coronavirus outbreak, says chief executive Sean Seamer.

After the opening round in Adelaide last month, national and international measures to halt the spread of the COVID-19 virus have put a stop on all sports codes.

As a result, rounds two to five of the original 2020 calendar have been officially postponed, with Symmons Plains, Auckland and Perth to be run at a later date, while an alternative venue is being explored to replace the Albert Park event.

The next event on the calendar is the Winton race weekend, which is scheduled across June 5-7, however with strict border restions in place in Australia, every round is currently in doubt. 

"We'll continue to discuss it with the teams, but right now if we have to go deep into summer or even early into next year then we are prepared to do that at this point in time," Seamer told the Herald Sun.

"Things are changing very frequently. But we have got a plan, the teams are all aligned.

"Now it's just a matter of working through different scenarios and seeing how soon we can get back out there."

Seamer added that a rebuilt calendar will be done to fit postponed events around existing dates, however lots does depend on the border restrictions. 

"We are working through discussions with all of our partners at the tracks and discussing options with them, but again a lot of this could potentially come down to which states have which borders open at which time.  

"Really that's the critical piece of information that we are waiting on."

Last week, Kiwi driver Shane van Gisbergen told Newshub it would be great if two rounds could be staged in New Zealand. 

"Maybe there's an option to do another round, whether we do two here or something, while the cars are over... it could be a possibility," he said. 

"I think he's [Seamer] looking into all options - it would be great to do two rounds here. 

"Scott [McLaughlin] and I tried to put pressure on it last year, and create some hype behind it, so hopefully something happens." 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz