Liverpool legend Sir Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus and is in hospital but is showing no symptoms, his family announced on Saturday (NZ time).
The 69-year-old former Celtic, Liverpool and Scotland player was admitted to hospital on Thursday for a "treatment of an infection which required intravenous antibiotics".
"In keeping with current procedures, he was subsequently tested for COVID-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness. Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic," Dalglish's family said in a statement released by Liverpool.
"Prior to his admission to hospital, Sir Kenny had chosen to voluntarily self isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family.
"He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead."
West Ham players, manager David Moyes take pay cut
West Ham manager David Moyes will take a 30 per cent pay cut as the English Premier League club move to protect their financial status in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The West Ham players will defer a "percentage of their salaries" during the current suspension, which runs until at least May.
West Ham said in a statement on their website that joint-chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold "who have not taken a salary or dividend in their 10 years at the club" and fellow shareholders have agreed to inject £30 million (NZ$60m) in cash to help ensure stability.
Vice-chairman Karren Brady and chief financial officer Andy Mollett will also take a 30 percent pay cut, the club said.
"The savings created by the measures above will support the entire infrastructure of the club and enable us to retain jobs and continue to pay 100 percent of staff salaries," West Ham said.
Renault F1 team take pay cuts
Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo's Formula One team Renault have furloughed most of their race team until the end of May due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with management also taking a pay cut, the French car-maker says.
Renault said the engine factory at Viry-Chatillon in France had moved to a part- time schedule from April 6 for a provisional 12 weeks.
"Renault Sport Racing has decided to retrospectively apply for the Job Retention Scheme set up by the British government," they said in a statement on Friday.
"The vast majority of Enstone staff will effectively have a total shutdown (furlough) until May 31st. This will be reviewed dependent on the development of the situation."
Renault, whose F1 drivers are Australian Daniel Ricciardo and Frenchman Esteban Ocon, said it would top up the amount allocated by the government to guarantee a minimum of 80 per cent of actual salary for all team members.
"Salaries of active staff, including management, will be reduced in the same proportions," it added.
Three other British-based teams -- McLaren, Williams and Racing Point -- have already announced they are furloughing staff with drivers also taking pay cuts.Renault are the first manufacturer-owned team to do so, however.
Team boss Cyril Abiteboul said it was hard to measure the eventual impact of the crisis on the sport, with France and England in lockdown along with most Grand Prix organising countries.
"We therefore must use all the measures at our disposal to get through this prolonged period of uncertainty and inactivity as best as we can, while protecting the whole team we have built over the past four years," he said.
The car-maker cancelled its dividend on Thursday and said its chairman and interim chief executive officer had agreed to pay cuts, to help finance a solidarity fund for staff affected by the coronavirus crisis.