Cricket: Kane Williamson nominated for male cricketer of the decade, Suzie Bates shortlisted for female award

Blackcaps skipper Kane Williamson and White Ferns all-rounder Suzie Bates have both been shortlisted for the International Cricket Council (ICC) male and female cricketer of the decade awards.

Williamson is one of seven men shortlisted for the Sir Garfield Sobers Award along with Australian Steve Smith, India pair Ravichandran Ashwin and Virat Kohli, England captain Joe Root, AB De Villiers of South Africa and Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara. 

Bates' fellow finalists in the women's category for the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Award are Meg Lanning and Ellyse Perry of Australia, England's Sarah Taylor, Stafanie Taylor of the West Indies and India's Mithali Raj.

The two awards recognise the best player across all three formats, Twenty20, one-dayers and tests between January 1, 2011, and October 7, 2020.

Suzie Bates.
Suzie Bates. Photo credit: Photosport

Williamson has also been shortlisted for men's test cricketer of the decade with Bates nominated for women's ODI cricketer of the decade, while current White Ferns skipper Sophie Devine is a finalist for women's T20 cricketer of the decade.

India captain Kohli is the only men's player who has been nominated for all major awards, including the test cricketer of the decade, the ODI cricketer of the decade and T20 cricketer of the decade.

The fan vote will make up 10 percent of the overall voting, while votes from an expert panel will make up the remaining 90 percent. 

The winners will be announced next month. 

Join us at 7pm Friday for live updates of the first Blackcaps v West Indies T20