Football great Ryan Giggs denies domestic assault allegations, stood down by Wales

Ryan Giggs Photo credit: Getty

Manager Ryan Giggs will not be involved in Wales' next three international fixtures amid allegations of assault.

Giggs has denied the allegations, after British media reported he had been arrested after a disturbance at his home.

"The Football Association of Wales and Ryan Giggs have mutually agreed that he will not be involved in the upcoming international camp," the FAW says.

Assistant coach Robert Page will take charge for the next three matches against the United States, Ireland and Finland.

The Sun reported that police had been called to the former Manchester United winger's home on Sunday night, after reports of a disturbance.

"A woman in her 30s sustained minor injuries, but did not require any treatment," Greater Manchester Police told The Sun.

"A 46-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of section 47 assault and section 39 common assault."

He was released on bail, pending inquiries.

Giggs' representatives stress he is cooperating with police.

"Mr Giggs denies all allegations of assault made against him," his representatives say.

FAW was scheduled to name its squad for the three upcoming games on Tuesday, but has delayed that announcement until Thursday.

Giggs made 963 appearances over 23 years for Manchester United as a player - a club record - winning a haul of honours, including 13 Premier League titles and two UEFA Champions League winner's medals.

He represented Wales as a player 64 times between 1991-2007 and took over as national coach in 2018.

Reuters

Where to find help and support: 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz