Football: Tottenham move top of Premier League after beating Manchester City

Tottenham Hotspur have moved atop the English Premier League, after a classic Jose Mourinho-inspired performance delivered a 2-0 victory over Manchester City. 

Goals in each half from Son Heung-min and substitute Giovani lo Celso secured the three points and a fourth straight league win for Spurs, who are two points ahead of second-placed Chelsea.

Mourinho's men grabbed the lead in the fifth minute, when Son got round the back of City's defence to latch on to a perfect, lofted pass over the top from Tanguy Ndombele and slip the ball through the legs of advancing goalkeeper Ederson.

Harry Kane had the ball in the net in the 13th minute, slotting home from Son at the end of a sweeping move, but the effort was disallowed for offside.

City were frustrated when Aymeric Laporte drove home, after being set up by Gabriel Jesus, but after reviewing the pitch-side monitor, referee Mike Dean ruled the Brazilian had handled.

The visitors enjoyed the bulk of possession without threatening the goal too often, while a well-organised Spurs kept compact and looked to strike on the break.

That proved to be a wise tactic when, just 35 seconds after being introduced from the bench, was found by Kane and kept his cool to slip past Ederson, who again had rushed out of his goal.

Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris did well in the final minute to keep out a header from Ruben Dias, as City were left to reflect on a result that left them adrift in 10th place, eight points behind Tottenham.

Spurs overtook previous leaders Chelsea, who earlier went top of the standings briefly with a 2-0 victory at Newcastle United, courtesy of an own goal by Federico Fernandez and Tammy Abraham's second-half effort.

Frank Lampard's side dominated before the break and took the lead in the 10th minute, when Fernandez turned in Mason Mount's cross, under pressure from Ben Chilwell.

Chelsea really should have been out of sight, with Timo Werner guilty of missing some gilt-edged chances, but Newcastle came alive after the break.

Tammy Abraham and Frank Lampard.
Tammy Abraham and Frank Lampard. Photo credit: Reuters

Isaac Hayden squandered a great chance to equalise on the hour, but a few minutes later, Werner burst through on goal, before passing to Abraham to double Chelsea's lead.

Meanwhile, Brighton & Hove Albion celebrated their first Premier League victory since September, when Danny Welbeck helped them to a 2-1 win at Aston Villa with his first goal for the club.

Solly March also netted a fine goal for the visitors to cancel out Ezri Konsa's equaliser, as Brighton moved clear of the relegation zone with nine points from as many games. Sixth-placed Villa suffered their third successive home defeat.

Elsewhere, a twice-taken penalty from Bruno Fernandes gave an unimpressive Manchester United a 1-0 win over West Bromwich Albion - their first home victory of the Premier League season.

Fernandes' first effort was saved by West Brom keeper Sam Johnstone, but referee David Coote ordered the kick re-taken, after ruling the keeper had come off his line. The Portuguese midfielder made no mistake with the second attempt.