Football: Big Sam Allardyce records first win as West Bromwich manager after five-goal thriller at Wolverhampton Wanderers

West Bromwich Albion recorded their first win under Sam Allardyce as they beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-2 in a see-saw  derby in the Premier League, with Matheus Pereira scoring twice from the spot.

The result gave West Brom a big boost in their bid to avoid relegation, as they moved to within three points of 17th place, albeit remaining stuck in 19th spot for now.

Wolves meanwhile stay in 14th place.

"It's massive. If there was one game to change our season, this is the game. It's the one fans look forward to the most," West Brom midfielder Romaine Sawyers told BT Sport.

"We had seven days with the gaffer. This was the first time really on the training ground, getting back to basics.

"He's a bit tough on us, but it's not a happy situation we're in, so we need that tough love."

West Brom opened the scoring when centre back Willy Boly fouled Callum Robinson in the seventh minute on the edge of the box and Pereira stepped up to convert the penalty, sending Wolves keeper Rui Patricio the wrong way.

Boly made amends later when his back-heeled pass in the box freed up Fabio Silva, who side-footed the ball past David Button for the 18-year-old's first goal at home.

Minutes later, Boly made it 2-1 when the ball fell to him during a corner kick, leaving Button no chance to make a save as the defender scored from six yards out.

West Brom turned things around with two quick-fire goals after the restart, the first from a long throw-in when Kyle Bartley's flicked header allowed Semi Ajayi to loop his header past Patricio.

The visitors sealed the win when Robinson won another penalty after drawing a foul from defender Conor Coady and Pereira scored from the spot again.

"We wanted to control the game and be aggressive in defence and we didn't do it," Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo said.

"Two penalties and a throw-in. We knew we required better defending. We must rectify it and do better."

Mount strikes as Chelsea edge 10-man Fulham 

Mason Mount
Mason Mount Photo credit: Getty

A late goal from Mason Mount gave Chelsea a laboured 1-0 win at 10-man Fulham, easing some of the pressure off their manager Frank Lampard.

Mount drove in a scorching low shot from 10 metres in the 78th minute to give Chelsea only their second league win in the last seven games and lift them two places up to seventh on 29 points from 18 games.

Fulham, who had wing back Antonee Robinson sent off on the stroke of halftime for a reckless tackle on Cesar Azpilicueta, stayed 18th on 12 points after their first defeat following five successive draws.

Home goalkeeper Alphonse Areola made two saves and Mount rattled the crossbar for Chelsea in a frantic three-minute spell midway through the first half but Fulham missed the best chance when Ivan Cavaleiro scuffed his shot wide.

With Chelsea lacking any edge up front after the break despite their numerical advantage, Fulham nearly made them pay for a defensive mix-up in the 68th minute as Cavaleiro's shot was blocked by Thiago Silva.

Mount finally broke the deadlock with an unstoppable shot inside the near post after Areola could only palm an inviting Ben Chilwell cross from the left straight into the England midfielder's stride.

Leicester go second with 2-0 win over Southampton

Leicester City showed they could have a big say in the Premier League title race with an impressive 2-0 win over Southampton to move above champions Liverpool into second spot.

An early thunderbolt by James Maddison and a stoppage-time goal by the impressive Harvey Barnes sealed the points although the hosts did not have everything their own way.

They suffered a late blow when striker Jamie Vardy limped off with a muscle injury, but it was a positive night for Leicester who picked up only their fourth home win this season.

All eyes will be on the Anfield showdown between Liverpool and leaders Manchester United but a well-balanced Leicester side look capable of staying with them.

Brendan Rodgers's side have 35 points from 18 games, one point behind United and two better off than Liverpool.

Manchester City, who also slipped below Leicester ahead of their clash with Crystal Palace, have 32.

Eighth-placed Southampton, who beat Liverpool in their last game, were unlucky when Stuart Armstrong's long-range effort rattled the crossbar as the visitors pressed for an equaliser.

But Leicester, who started slowly, deserved the points.

"A great win for us. The first 25 minutes I thought we were socially distancing, we didn't get within two metres of them," Rodgers, whose side were in the running this time last year before falling away, told BT Sport.

"Second half we were much better and should have scored more than two goals. At the same time we defended well."

Southampton, without striker Danny Ings who is isolating after testing positive for COVID-19, were the sharper side early on and could have gone ahead when Che Adams forced Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel into action.

At the other end Barnes nearly finished off a slick Leicester move but drilled his shot straight at Alex McCarthy.

Leicester went ahead in the 37th minute when Maddison rolled Jan Bednarek on the edge of the area before advancing inside the penalty area. The angle looked tight but he ripped a rising shot high past McCarthy - celebrating in novel socially-distanced style with imaginary handshakes.

Southampton were almost level before halftime when left back Ryan Bertrand went clear and took aim with a powerful effort that Schmeichel beat away for a corner.

Will Smallbone also tested Schmeichel at the start of the second half and Leicester survived a scare when Armstrong thumped a shot against the bar in the 73rd minute. As the ball rebounded, Jonny Evans bundled over Shane Long but he was spared conceding a penalty by an offside flag.

Leicester could have added to their lead though with Barnes having an effort cleared off the line and McCarthy making a great save from Vardy. But Barnes made no mistake when he went through one-on-one and coolly dinked the ball into the net.

Maupay on target as Brighton sink lacklustre Leeds

Neal Maupay (centre) celebrates his goal
Neal Maupay (centre) celebrates his goal Photo credit: Getty

Neal Maupay scored the only goal as Brighton & Hove Albion snapped a nine-game run without a Premier League victory, with a 1-0 win over a lacklustre Leeds United.

Leeds made an encouraging start, with Rodrigo inches away from connecting with Ezgjan Alioski's cross from the left in the seventh minute, but it was Brighton who went on to claim their first-ever top-flight victory at Elland Road.

Maupay struck in the 17th minute, finishing off a flowing move started by Alexis Mac Allister, who burst into the Leeds box after a quick exchange of passes with Leandro Trossard before squaring the ball for the Frenchman to tap home.

"Everything worked well today, we defended together and attacked pretty well. It's a huge result for us," Maupay said after Brighton's third victory in 19 games this season.

"We have quality, but we need to push on and get more wins."

Leeds, who had several absentees, including influential midfielder Kalvin Phillips, looked tired and their failure to implement their trademark pressing game and create clear chances will be a worry for manager Marcelo Bielsa.

Patrick Bamford squandered a chance to equalise two minutes after Brighton had scored, when he scuffed his shot with the goal at his mercy after Raphinha's low cross.

Trossard nearly extended Brighton's lead in the 24th minute, but the Belgian cannoned his shot off the crossbar after charging virtually unchallenged into the Leeds box.

Leeds, who did not have a shot on target in the first half, improved after the interval but still did not seriously trouble Brighton's five-man defence, with Bamford again going closest to scoring when he headed Pablo Hernandez's cross wide.

Brighton passed up another chance to extend their lead on the hour mark, when Trossard smashed over from inside the Leeds box after running on to Maupay's clever cutback.

The victory moved Brighton up to 16th in the table on 17 points, while Leeds stay 12th on 23 after their ninth league defeat of the season. 

Antonio earns West Ham narrow win over Burnley

 Michail Antonio of West Ham United celebrates after scoring
Michail Antonio of West Ham United celebrates after scoring Photo credit: Getty

Michail Antonio's early goal proved enough for West Ham United to beat a toothless Burnley 1-0 and move into the top eight in the Premier League.

The powerhouse striker stabbed the ball home from close range in the ninth minute after Burnley defender James Tarkowski inexplicably failed to clear a cross.

In line with COVID-19 guidelines Antonio opted for a solo celebration of his 40th Premier League goal for the club - laying on his back and motioning as if swimming backstroke.

"I had a game of Call of Duty with Declan [Rice] and lost and that was the forfeit," Antonio said.

West Ham had chances to increase their lead with Angelo Ogbonna hitting the woodwork and Jarrod Bowen going close before Burnley finally began to threaten late on.

Substitute Jay Rodriguez bundled one effort wide for Burnley, but home keeper Lukasz Fabianski was rarely called into meaningful action as West Ham held out for the win.

West Ham have 29 points from 18 games while Burnley, who have yet to reach double figures in goals scored this season, are looking anxiously over their shoulders in 17th place.

Only Paolo Di Canio (47), Mark Noble (46) and Carlton Cole (41) have reached the 40-goal mark in the Premier League for West Ham and Antonio deserves his place on that list.

Strong and powerful he was a constant thorn in Burnley's side as he returned to the starting lineup in the league after some substitute appearances following a hamstring injury.

He could not believe his luck though for his goal. Tarkowski looked favourite to head away a cross from the left by Pablo Fornals but he made no contact and the ball arrived to Antonio who finished from close-range past Nick Pope.

Burnley offered little before the break and could have fallen further behind when Ogbonna hit the post from the lively Bowen's cross. Bowen had a glorious chance after the break and Declan Rice curled a free kick over.

Sean Dyche's side showed more purpose in the latter stages but never really looked like scoring as West Ham recorded a fourth successive clean sheet in all competitions.

"Not our best performance but another resilient one," manager David Moyes said.

Burnley have managed only five shots on target in their last three Premier League games and urgently need to start scoring if they are not to be dragged into a relegation dogfight.

"We had a lot of possession but couldn't quite open the door and that's been our problem all season," said Dyche.