Football: Premier League's Leeds United suffer shock FA Cup exit at hands of Crawley Town

Leeds United have suffered one of the FA Cup's biggest shocks, with a 3-0 defeat by fourth-tier Crawley Town in the third round.

Leeds' Argentinian manager Marcelo Bielsa made seven changes, yet still fielded a strong line-up for the trip to West Sussex, but League Two Crawley, a non-league club until nine years ago, produced a performance to remember.

Crawley's squad contains several players who failed to make the grade at the top level and manager John Yems is delighted with their display.

"These players have got a lot to prove to the clubs who have released them and we've showed what we can do against a really good side in Leeds," he says.

"You have to enjoy these games - you work hard enough for it. It was a really good team performance and it's clear that we've got 11-star men."

While the FA Cup is known for producing surprises, particularly at this stage, top-flight teams are rarely beaten by such a decisive margin.

Since the creation of the Football League's fourth tier in 1958, a top-flight side has only once previously lost by three or more goals to opposition from that level in this competition.

Former Tottenham Hotspur youth player Nick Tsaroulla stunned the Yorkshire side in the 50th minute with a superb individual goal, as he wriggled free of his marker, before drilling the ball into the far corner.

Ashley Nadesan doubled the advantage, breaking into the box and driving a low shot that  Leeds keeper Kiko Casilla failed to keep out at his near post.

The third came when Nadesan's low drive was saved by Casilla at close-range, but Jordan Tunnicliffe pounced to smash the ball home.

"We'll take anyone from the Premier League here," Nadesan says. "We're trying to make this place a fortress. 

"The whole club has done everyone proud today. The first goal was a bit of a shock, but to get the second goal straight after was really big."

Leeds' Macedonian midfielder Ezgjan Alioski was stunned.

"We are really disappointed... especially me, I'm really sad. We took the game really seriously, and we wanted to win and go on a run, so it is disappointing.

"Crawley played the game of their lives and congratulations, and to beat us 3-0... I still can't believe it," he says. 

Vinicius hits hat-trick as Spurs end lowly Marine's FA Cup run

Carlos Vinicius of Tottenham Hotspur holds the match ball at full-time after scoring a hat-trick
Carlos Vinicius of Tottenham Hotspur holds the match ball at full-time after scoring a hat-trick Photo credit: Getty

Brazilian Carlos Vinicius has struck a first-half hat-trick, as Tottenham Hotspur avoided an FA Cup banana skin with ease, enjoying a 5-0 win at eighth-tier Marine AFC in the third round.

Marine, who play in the Northern Premier League, Division One North West, lay 161 places below Spurs in the English football pyramid - the biggest gap the Cup has produced.

Although COVID-19 restrictions saw the game played behind closed doors, Marine's small ground is surrounded by local houses, which meant supporters watched the game from their back gardens.

The Merseyside club stuck to their task well, particularly in the opening stages, and nearly gave Spurs a shock in the 20th minute, when Neil Kengni struck the bar with a long-range effort that former England keeper Joe Hart opted to let go, only to see the ball dip late and strike the woodwork.

But four minutes later, Vinicius opened the scoring, converting from close range, after a low ball into the box from Dele Alli.

Alli, who has been a fringe figure for most of this season, then fed Matt Doherty, whose shot was pushed out by Marine keeper Bayleigh Passant and Vinicius was on-hand to tap-in.

Another Brazilian, Lucas Moura, then curled in a free-kick for the third before Vinicius completed his hat-trick in the 37th minute with a left-foot curler.

Alfie Devine, who became Spurs' youngest player at 16-years and 163 days old, came on as a substitute at the break and scored on the hour with a well-taken strike that zipped in the near post. 

Mount scores birthday goal as Chelsea thrash Morecambe

Mason Mount of Chelsea celebrates with team mate Callum Hudson-Odoi after scoring their side's first goal
Mason Mount of Chelsea celebrates with team mate Callum Hudson-Odoi after scoring their side's first goal Photo credit: Getty

Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount has scored on his 22nd birthday, as Frank Lampard's side eased to a 4-0 victory over fourth-tier Morecambe.

Mount gave Chelsea an early lead at Stamford Bridge with a fierce shot from 25 metres, leaving Morecambe goalkeeper Mark Halstead with no chance.

Chelsea striker Timo Werner scored his first goal in two months with a simple tap-in from Kai Havertz's knockdown shortly before halftime.

The hosts stepped up their intensity in the second half, as Hakim Ziyech threaded a delightful through ball for Callum Hudson-Odoi to score four minutes after the interval.

Havertz added a fourth with a thumping header in the 85th minute, as Chelsea claimed their first win in four games in all competitions.

Morecambe had nearly taken a shock lead in the 11th minute, when Adam Phillips' swerving cross almost caught Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga out.

Kepa recovered brilliantly to keep the ball from crossing the line, before Chelsea's attacking quality proved too much for Morecambe, who were playing their first match since December 26.

Making their first third-round appearance since 2003, Morecambe are recovering from a COVID-19 outbreak at the club that forced captain Sam Lavelle to miss the match. 

Silva double earns Man City 3-0 FA Cup win over Birmingham

Phil Foden (right) celebrates scoring his side's third goal of the game with Bernardo Silva
Phil Foden (right) celebrates scoring his side's third goal of the game with Bernardo Silva Photo credit: Getty

Bernardo Silva has scored two goals and Phil Foden another, as Manchester City strolled to a 3-0 win at home against second-tier Birmingham City.

The victory meant City have won each of their last seven FA Cup home games, their best home winning run in the competition in 75 years.

"Our first objective is done," manager Pep Guardiola says. "Some young players were involved and we have qualified for the next round. 

"If you follow the trajectory of our team since I arrived, we didn't drop one game. That's why we are in a fourth Carabao [League] Cup final in a row, FA Cup we won two seasons ago and a semi-final last season."

Portuguese midfielder Silva scored his first goal at the Etihad Stadium in more than a year, firing the ball into the top corner in the eighth minute, after Birmingham defender George Friend failed to clear.

Silva doubled City's lead seven minutes later, finishing off a brilliant team move with a simple tap-in. The 26-year-old pounced on a cut-back from Kevin De Bruyne, after Riyad Mahrez found the Belgian with a clever pass inside the box.

Foden made it 3-0 before the break with a low strike from outside the box that sailed into the bottom corner, after Mahrez set up him.

Mahrez thought he had added City's fourth at the hour-mark, when he slotted in at the back post, but the goal was disallowed, after the Algerian was ruled offside.