EPL: Newcastle hang on with nine men to beat Southampton

Manchester United suffered a blow to their hopes of winning a first Premier League title since 2013 after Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored with the last kick of the game to earn Everton a 3-3 draw in a pulsating clash at Old Trafford.

The result left United second in the standings on 45 points from 22 games, two behind leaders Manchester City who have two games in hand and visit fourth-placed champions Liverpool on Monday (NZ time).

An Edinson Cavani header and a sublime strike from Bruno Fernandes gave United a 2-0 lead in the first half before sloppy defending by the home side let Everton back into the match.

Abdoulaye Doucoure pulled one back in the 47th minute when he tapped in from close range after an error by United goalkeeper David De Gea and James Rodriguez levelled in the 52nd with a fine finish from 13 metres.

Scott McTominay, who netted a volley in United's 9-0 rout of Southampton at Old Trafford on Tuesday, put them back in front in the 71st minute when he rose among a cluster of players to head home a Luke Shaw cross.

With stoppage time ticking, Everton won a free kick in midfield and Calvert-Lewin stunned United as he poked a floated cross past De Gea from five metres to leave Everton sixth on 37 points from 21 games.

Newcastle hang on with nine men to beat Southampton

Newcastle's Miguel Almiron celebrates scoring the side's third goal against Southampton
Newcastle's Miguel Almiron celebrates scoring the side's third goal against Southampton

Newcastle United hung on for a valuable 3-2 victory over Southampton despite finishing a rip-roaring Premier League contest with nine men at St James' Park on Sunday (NZ time).

Southampton were coming off a 9-0 hammering at Manchester United in midweek, fell 2-0 behind after 25 minutes with Joe Willock netting on his Newcastle debut and Miguel Almiron scoring via a large deflection off Jan Bednarek.

Takumi Minamino, also on his debut, replied for Southampton with a superb finish, but just before halftime the visitors self-destructed in defence again to allow Almiron to score and send the hosts in with a 3-1 lead.

A sensational free kick by James Ward-Prowse three minutes into the second half gave Southampton impetus, and Newcastle went down to 10 men when Jeff Hendrick was sent off.

As the sleet came down, Newcastle were reduced to nine men when defender Fabian Schar was carried off on a stretcher after a clash of legs with Bednarek with the hosts having already used up all their substitutions.

But Steve Bruce's dogged side hung on to give themselves a healthy buffer above the relegation zone.

They have 25 points from 23 games, with Southampton on 29 from 22 after five league defeats in a row.

In the other games, Brighton & Hove Albion weren't able to continue their good form as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Burnley after a Johann Gudmundsson strike cancelled out a first half header from Brighton's Lewis Dunk.

Brighton, who won three of their last four games, including wins over Tottenham Hotspur and champions Liverpool, were forced to share the spoils after failing to hold on to a lead yet again this season but Dunk was satisfied with the result.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta was left fuming after his side showed promise but once again made things difficult for themselves in a 1-0 loss at Aston Villa. Ollie Watkins' goal condemned Arsenal to their second loss in a week after Tuesday's 2-1 defeat at Wolverhampton Wanderers. It leaves the London side 10th in the table, nine points off the top four places while Wolves stay in 14th place. 

Tomas Soucek appeals to match referee Mike Dean after being shown a red card.
Tomas Soucek appeals to match referee Mike Dean after being shown a red card Photo credit: Getty

West Ham's Moyes labels VAR embarrassing after Soucek red card

West Ham United manager David Moyes blasted the video assistant referee (VAR) as embarrassing after Tomas Soucek was harshly shown a straight red card in stoppage time of their 0-0 Premier League draw against Fulham at Craven Cottage.

A drab derby was drifting to its conclusion when midfielder Soucek tangled with Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic before a West Ham free kick in stoppage time.

While the big Czech did catch Mitrovic in the head with his elbow it looked accidental, yet referee Mike Deane, having been instructed to look at a pitch-side monitor by the VAR official, eventually decided it warranted a dismissal.

Even Mitrovic, who held his face after the contact, appeared to say to Deane that it had not been a deliberate act.

"It was an accidental coming together which to give someone a red card (for) is an embarrassing decision," Moyes says. "I am embarrassed that the VAR asked him to look at it. It was a simple accident and we should just get on with the game.

"I am disappointed. The referees can easily put a stop to this by saying we are not going to react to screaming or give soft free-kicks but they seem to be frightened to say no."