FA Cup: Man City see off Swansea to rack up record 15th straight win

Substitute Bernard fired Everton into the FA Cup quarter-finals with an extra-time goal to seal an astonishing 5-4 fifth-round victory over Tottenham Hotspur. 

Tottenham striker Harry Kane's late header had levelled it up at 4-4 to send a see-saw tie into extra time at Goodison Park and it was Bernard who settled it with a superb finish.

Everton had fallen behind in the third minute when Tottenham defender Davinson Sanchez headed past Robin Olsen.

Tottenham controlled the opening half hour but Everton struck three times in seven minutes to turn the tie on its head.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin had already been denied by the woodwork but he blasted the equaliser in the 36th minute before setting up Richarlison two minutes later to put Everton ahead.

Gylfi Sigurdsson's penalty appeared to be a hammer blow to his old club but Erik Lamela's close-range finish threw Jose Mourinho's team a lifeline in first-half stoppage time.

Defender Sanchez poked home Tottenham's equaliser in the 57th minute but Richarlison's superb finish restored Everton's lead 10 minutes later.

Kane, on as a 53rd-minute substitute, had been relatively quiet for Tottenham but headed his side's second equaliser of the night from Son Heung-min's superb cross.

The frenetic pace dropped a little in extra time but Bernard was played in by Sigurdsson's superb chip and he thumped his shot past Hugo Lloris to keep alive Everton's bid for a first FA Cup triumph since 1995.

Man City see off Swansea for record 15th straight win

Raheem Sterling
Raheem Sterling Photo credit: Getty

Manchester City secured a record 15th straight victory in all competitions with a 3-1 win at Championship side Swansea City in the FA Cup fifth round on Wednesday.

The victory run is a record for a top-flight team, surpassing the 14 successive wins achieved by Preston in 1892 and Arsenal in 1987.

City, who made seven changes from the team who won 4-1 at champions Liverpool on Sunday, took the lead in the 30th minute with a low cross-shot from Kyle Walker which sneaked in at the far post.

Pep Guardiola's side doubled the advantage two minutes after halftime when Raheem Sterling was left free on the left and converted confidently.

Brazilian Gabriel Jesus made it three with wonderful control and a shot on the turn after collecting a header across the area from Bernardo Silva.

Morgan Whittaker pulled a goal back for the Welsh side in the 77th minute but the only real downside for City was an injury to midfielder Rodri.

The last game City failed to win was against West Bromwich Albion at the Etihad Stadium on December 15 and Wednesday's victory was Guardiola's 200th in 268 games in charge of the club.

"We came to win that was the most important thing," Guardiola says. "We cannot deny how pleased and how proud we are to break this record from a long time ago but records are there to be broken.

"It's not easy in the modern era to do 15 games in a row. We are happy for our club," the Spaniard says.

 Kelechi Iheanacho celebrates after scoring Brighton
Kelechi Iheanacho celebrates after scoring Brighton Photo credit: Getty

In other games, Kelechi Iheanacho struck deep into stoppage time to send Leicester City into the FA Cup quarter-finals with a 1-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion.

Extra time loomed when Ihenacho was picked out at the far post from a corner and he headed home.

Sheffield United booked their spot in the next round with a 1-0 win at Bramall Lane against championship side Bristol City thanks to a second half penalty from Billy Sharp.